Programme Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Geneva | Geneva
Head of Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Geneva, with requirement for overseas travel
Initiated by the Swiss Government, the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is a foundation contributing to the process of democratisation of the security sector in countries around the world, including those in transition to democracy or affected by crisis or war.
DCAF is looking for an experienced, motivated, and flexible individual who will provide daily management and oversight of the Africa Programme and its diverse project portfolio related to security sector reform and governance in Africa. The Programme Manager (PM) will coordinate a professional team in Geneva and ensure the coherence of programmatic activities.
The PM is innovative and able to support his/her team in developing and implementing projects that capitalize on the expertise and strengths of the team while simultaneously addressing the specific needs of partners in a given context. The PM is thus responsible for the overall supervision of the Programme including contributing to its growth and direction. The PM will advise management on the strategic development of the Programme and will work collaboratively with management on human and financial resource decision-making. In collaboration with the team, the PM will be responsible for overseeing project design, reporting and evaluation, monitoring budgets, and developing funding proposals associated with the Programme.
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English with demonstrable strong writing and editing skills in both languages;
- Advanced university degree (or equivalent) in international relations, law, peace, or security studies;
- Demonstrable knowledge in the field of institutional reform, governance, international development, and/or security sector reform;
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience working in diverse cultural contexts;
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience successfully managing dynamic multicultural teams using a collaborative, supportive and team-oriented approach;
- Demonstrated financial management experience to develop and monitor budgets; oversee financial reporting; and writing successful funding proposals, managing donor relationships and donor reports;
- Demonstrated experience managing and monitoring projects using a results-based management (RBM) framework;
- Extensive experience collaborating with a variety of institutional and civil society actors such as government and security officials, parliaments, international organizations, and civil society organizations;
- Experience liaising with donors, embassies, and international organisations in the field;
- Excellent organisation skills with strong attention to detail.
Desirable additional skills or experience:
- Experience conducting research and producing publications;
- Formal/informal public speaking in English and French to diverse audiences;
- Familiarity with the UN, AU, ECOWAS, and other intergovernmental and/or regional organisations operating in Africa;
- Field experience in Africa.
The position commences in March 2017.
Deadline for applications is 15 January 2017.
DCAF is committed to a diverse workplace free of discrimination. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: www.dcaf.ch. Job description: http://www.dcaf.ch/About-Us/Vacancies/Programme-Manager-Africa-Programme
Candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their CV with a cover letter explaining their interest and suitability for the position to the address below. Due to the high number of applications, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Head of Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Ref: Programme Manager Africa01/03/2017
- Organization: DCAF - Democratic Control of Armed Forces
- Location: Geneva | Geneva
- Grade: Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-01-15