Sierra Leone - Project Manager
Makeni | Sierra Leone
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years** we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
COOPI is currently implementing several projects in Sierra Leone mainly in the areas of Food Security, Value Chain, Livelihood and Energy Facilities. COOPI is seeking a Project Manager to start up and implement the project: Fostering Smallholder Agriculture in Sierra Leone. The Project Manager is responsible for supervising, monitoring, reporting program activities, capacity building, financial and logistics related issues.
The Project Manager is responsible for:
- Ensuring overall management and economic and financial administration of assigned project and for its entire implementation process, ensuring the achievement of its objectives and results, in accordance with regulations and procedures set forth by COOPI and donor;
- To maintain and develop relations with stake-holders, such as donors, local institutions, business owners, members of various communities, and other development actors;
- To support Financial department of the mission and monitor the preparation of accounting documents for interim and final financial reports required by donors;
- To supervise, and lead, any necessary needs assessments
- To keep supervisor always informed of any relevant information for the implementation of the project and related to interest of COOPI Sierra Leone mission, including information for potential new partnerships and funding opportunities;
- To be responsible for the accuracy of all narrative reports and other periodical reporting requirements to partners and donors;
- To manage human resources involved in the project, if approved by supervisor, recruit staffs for the project, and carry out performance appraisals;
- To support supervisor for drafting concept note, logical framework, project proposal, budget, work plan and other relevant documents, if applicable;
- To be responsible for all project documentation up until its conclusion and its delivery to the Head of Mission, including beneficiary list, waybills, MoUs and financial documents;
- To submit to supervisor a set of reports including a monthly project activity report;
- To manage, together with logistics department, the procurement of goods, works and services essential to the project;
- To submit to supervisor photographic and filmed documentation on activities carried out and full detail of the contents;
- Undertake other duties whenever deemed necessary by the HoM.
Duty Station: Makeni, Bombali District with extensive field visits in various project areas in Sierra Leone
Length of Contract: 12 Months – ASAP
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative individual with:
- advanced degree in International Development or related fields;
- Previous experience in value chain projects, with specialisation on market linkages, product improvement and product marketing
- excellent knowledge of project cycle-management;
- previous experience with an international humanitarian INGO recommended;
- previous experience in western African country is an advantage;
- strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- strong supervisory abilities and demonstrated capacity of teamwork;
- adequate resilience to stress;
- strong commitment to follow the rules and procedures of the organization;
- excellent inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- previous experience in writing project proposals is an asset;
- organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- proficiency in written and spoken English is a must; working knowledge of French is a plus;
- computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- GIS software previous experience is a plus;
- Valid driving license.
- A working week is defined as 5 working days.
- Possibility to work on weekends in particular occasions.
- Possibility of accommodation in COOPI guesthouse in Freetown and Makeni.
(Role of direct supervisor): Head of Mission
- Organization: COOPI - Cooperazione Internazionle
- Location: Makeni | Sierra Leone
- Grade: Mid level
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-12-10