ASSOCIATE PROGRAMME SPECIALIST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General, Education (ADG/ED) and the functional authority of the Director and direct supervision of the Regional Programme Specialist in charge of Curriculum, the incumbent is responsible for providing professional and technical support, research and analysis in the areas of Teachers, Learning and Information and Communication Technologies(ICTs) in education as well as intra-sectoral, inter-sectoral and cross-country programmatic activities and initiatives in the Regional Bureau for Education in the Arab States (hereafter referred to as the Beirut Office), within the frameworks of the 2030 Agenda, with reference to Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4), UNESCO’s statutory documents, and UNESCO Arab Regional Education Strategy. More specifically, the incumbent will\:
- Contribute to programme development and support in the areas of Teachers, Learning and ICTs in Education by supporting programme planning, delivery and reporting, as well as by providing logistical and administrative support.
- Contribute to knowledge management and production that is relevant to programme delivery (i.e. compiling appropriate research data; designing new research, as appropriate; preparing programme documents for public sharing and publication).
- Contribute to public information and sharing, as well as awareness raising and advocacy activities through organizing and participating in outreach tasks as appropriate.
- Develop and enhance partnership as relevant to the work assignment by analyzing and compiling background data for potential partnerships and fundraising events and opportunities. Assist in the Beirut Office’s involvement in UN joint programme/programming, as well as provide backstopping support for collaboration within the Office and with UNESCO Field Offices in the region, Headquarters and Category I Institutes in Education.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, or in a related field of social sciences. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the areas of education development, of which one year acquired in an international environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interpret rules and administrative guidelines and to solve routine and non-routine issues.
- Very good communication skills (verbally and in writing), with proven ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in multicultural environment with external and internal partners.
- Ability to take initiative, establish priorities, coordinate and monitor own work plan. Discretion and maturity of judgement.
- Solid computer skills including advanced knowledge of office software, such as Word, Excel and automated Financial Management Systems.
- Excellent knowledge (oral and written) of English. Very good knowledge of Arabic.
- Professional training/degree in education, in particular teacher education and/or curriculum, with experience in national education sector development.
- Two years of relevant experience in education settings in national governments and/or in the UN System/international organization.
- Research skills and ability to identify appropriate research topics, provide literature reviews, and interpret research outcomes, related to UNESCO Beirut programmes.
- Capacity to utilize websites, social media and other means to disseminate and promote UNESCO Beirut programmes, thus enhancing visibility and cooperation with partners.
- Fund-raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Knowledge of French.
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2016-12-03