Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Representative of the UNESCO Port-au-Prince Office, the incumbent of the post will lead the overall strategic direction for the Education Programme through policy development and the coordination and implementation of all related activities and projects in line with the established priorities. S/he will be expected to support and contribute to the efforts to support the Member State in its implementation of the Education Sector Strategy, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Goal 4 – Quality Education (SDG 4), and to contribute to enhancing UNESCO leadership in the Education Sector within the frameworks of the Programme Working Group of the UN Country Team and the Education Sector Working Group (Groupe Sectoriel Education) composed of Technical and Financial Partners of the Sector. The Programme Specialist will be expected to perform the following responsibilities\:
- Design, coordinate and monitor the implementation of activities, projects and programmes under the Education strategy of the Office including education planning, management and policy development, whilst ensuring their consistency with the national priorities of the Government of Haiti on formal and non-formal basic, vocational and higher education, research and key education frameworks such as the Haiti UNCT Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) and any UNESCO Regional Education Strategy in conjunction with the UNESCO Santiago Office and Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
- Conceptualize, provide consultative support and execute technical assistance and capacity development projects in strategic areas of UNESCO’s mandate, as well as provide intellectual and strategic advice on the preparation of country level co-operation plans and the alignment of the education initiatives of Haiti with the tenets of the SDG 4 and the overall framework of a Programme approach.
- Mobilize resources to support the Education strategy and the advancement of the national education system in Haiti, through the preparation of project proposals, cooperation frameworks, and diligent negotiation with donor agencies and other technical partners in Haiti and the LAC Region.
- Participate in joint UN programming and coordination activities related to education and pursue and maintain strategic partnerships to promote the technical contribution of UNESCO to the UN Development Strategic Framework (UNSDF) and actively participate in UN Country Team working groups to advance programmatic work and visibility for the Organization.
- Ensure the efficient execution of budgetary resources allocated to the Education portfolio of the Office, as well as, lead and provide technical backstopping to Education staff and supervision to other contracted personnel and temporary assistance engaged in the delivery of key Programme outputs.
- Actively participate in the Office cross-cutting activities and projects and perform other duties and responsibilities, per the direction of the Head of the Office.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of education, economics, development studies, social sciences, or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible, relevant work experience in the field of educational policy advice and education planning and management, of which at least 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Substantial experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and technical skills, including the ability to develop and provide expert advice on educational policy and strategic planning and management.
- Ability to collect evidence, synthesize and analyze information or data from various sources for informed decision-making purposes.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends, needs and priorities and ability to plan strategically, along with demonstrated ability to translate strategies into project proposals or actionable recommendations.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong managerial skills and ability to lead a team.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Solid written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present findings clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural and multi-sectoral environment.
- Strong IT skills.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of French and good knowledge of English.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in the field of education planning, pedagogy, teacher education, curriculum development, higher education, vocational education and/or education economics.
- Solid working experience with government authorities at different levels and with coordination mechanisms.
- Work experience acquired in the area of education, preferably in a developing/emerging country.
- Good knowledge of the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN System.
- Understanding of the educational challenges in developing/emerging countries and/or in Haiti.
- Knowledge of the SDG 4, including regional frameworks as well as country level follow up Action Plan requirements, including UNESCO Institute of Statistics (UIS)-led monitoring and evaluation arrangements.
- Good knowledge of Spanish.
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Port-au-Prince
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2016-12-03