DIRECTOR OF MULTISECTORAL REGIONAL OFFICE IN DAKAR AND UNESCO REPRESENTATIVE TO SENEGAL, BURKINA FASO, CABO VERDE, GAMBIA, GUINEA BISSAU AND NIGER
Under the overall authority of the Director-General, the direct supervision of the Director of the Division of Field Support and Coordination (DIR/FSC) as regards house-wide coordination (including management, administration and reporting), and the Assistant Director-General for Africa (ADG/AFR) as regards the implementation of Priority Africa and representational functions, and in close consultation with the Assistant Directors-General of the five programme sectors, and in close cooperation with the Directors of the other UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Offices in Africa for project planning, implementation, evaluation and reporting, the incumbent will act as the Director of UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office for West Africa (Sahel) in Dakar and UNESCO Representative in Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Niger and Senegal.
The incumbent will work within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategies (C/4s), approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5s), the Operational Strategy for the Implementation of Priority Africa and the Priority Gender Equality Action Plan as well as within the framework of international agreed development agendas as Agenda 2030 and Agenda 2063, in particular as regards to their regional and sub-regional dimensions.
The incumbent will supervise the Head of UNESCO National Office in Mali.
The core result, for which the incumbent will be responsible, is the positioning of UNESCO as a trusted development partner in the countries covered by the Office (Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Niger and Senegal) promoting integrated sub-regional approaches. Other results are the establishment and implementation of the multidisciplinary programme of the Office in close cooperation with the wider UN system; the effective and efficient management of the Office’s operations, resources, premises and assets; and the establishment and implementation of robust external relations and partnerships, including with the Association for Development of Education in Africa (ADEA) and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (UEMOA).
Moreover, the incumbent will participate, or ensure participation of the Office, in the activities of the United Nations at the national level in Senegal and in countries covered by the Office as well as at the regional level.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO’s mandate, public or business administration or international relations. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least ten (10) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system or within other international or national institutions, including a wide experience in development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and financial resources, as well as to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, and demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, as well as exercise supervision and control and ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in English and French. Training will be mandatory in order to acquire the required level of the second working language in a reasonable timeframe.
- Courses/degrees/training in a management-related field.
- Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral cooperation, development.
- Experience in conducting policy dialogue at government and non-government levels or public and private sectors.
- At least five (5) years of working experience in non-Headquarters duty station(s).
- Broad general culture, good geopolitical knowledge of the region and sound analytic capacities.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated managerial skills combined with flexibility.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take initiative and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of the United Nations system.
- Knowledge of other official United Nations languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Dakar
- Grade: D-1, Director
- International Relations
- Closing Date: 2016-12-08