Under the overall authority of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), under the management responsibility of Chief, Finance and Accounting Services Section and the direct supervision of the Accountant/Head of Management Accounting unit, the incumbent of the post will be responsible for all accounting matters related to Other Proprietary Fund (OPF) business area. More specifically, he/she will\:
- Prepare individual financial statements for specific funds and a commentary report for the purpose of bringing important matters to the attention of management. Prepare periodic management reports for senior management.
- Serve as the policy expert on the financial management of various Other Proprietary Fund (OPF). Meet regularly with fund managers, review fund performance and suggest measures to ensure the financial sustainability of these funds.
- Contribute to the preparation of the statutory UNESCO Financial Statements including the Notes to Accounts, ensuring completeness and transparency for subjects related to Other Proprietary Fund (OPF) business area. Liaise with external auditors on specific accounting matters, as assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensure that closing procedures regarding the various funds are performed before the closure of the accounts of the relevant period\: draft closing instructions, general ledger review, postings of adjustments and analysis of accounts.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in finance, accounting or related field. A first level degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Professional certification from an internationally recognised accounting body.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in the field of accounting and/or financial management, preferably in an international accounting/audit firm.
- 1 year of work experience acquired at the international level.
- Sound knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Ability to interpret rules and administrative guidelines and to solve routine and non-routine issues in the field of finance and related matters.
- Good organizational, planning and interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good (written and oral) communication skills, including the ability to draft clear and concise reports/documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in multicultural environment with external and internal partners.
- Ability to take initiative, establish priorities, coordinate and monitor own work plan. Discretion and maturity of judgement.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
- Solid IT skills including advanced knowledge of office software such as Word and Excel.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good/fair knowledge of the other language.
- Relevant experience in an international organization/institution and/or in the UN system.
- Very good knowledge of accounting functions in ERP systems, preferably SAP.
- Knowledge of other United Nations languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Paris
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-12-10