SENIOR PROGRAMME SPECIALIST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED) and the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-Sectoral Office for Central Africa in Yaoundé, the incumbent will lead the design, coordination, execution and evaluation of programme and projects for the Central Africa Region. The Senior Programme Specialist will be expected to perform the following responsibilities\:
- Drive programme and project initiatives and partnerships. Lead research and collaborative efforts to develop sound working tools and viable project outcomes that address national priorities. Participate proactively in Development Partner Education Working Groups, such as the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) process and provide quality substance inputs to their work.
- Supervise and coordinate the design and implementation of Education Sector-wide activities in collaboration with and at the request of Member States and other stakeholders in the Region, such as the Chad Education project (literacy, non-formal education, teachers’ training, educational system piloting capacity building) and the development of a ten-year plan of literacy and education.
- Lead Regional projects, such as the creation of technological and university poles of excellence (PETU), or the harmonization and strengthening of information systems for the management of Education (EMIS) in Central African countries. Support countries in the development of harmonized policies and activities related to education on HIV/AIDS.
- Proactively assume the leadership role of focal point for gender and Post-Conflict/Post-Disaster (PCPD) in Africa, in close collaboration with other Multisectoral Offices in Africa.
- Lead the development and implementation of programmes in the the Region which focus on Education for Peace, Human Rights, Responsible Citizenship, Intercultural Dialogue and Sustainable Development.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, curricula development, pedagogy/andragogy (training of trainers), social sciences, or in another related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible, relevant work experience in the field of education, of which at least 5 years acquired at the international level.
- Proven experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes/projects related to education, including experience in promoting gender equality in education.
- Proven experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to establish plans and priorities, as well as to implement them effectively.
- Demonstrated management and organisation skills.
- Proven ability to communicate, advocate, and negotiate with staff and stakeholders at all levels within and outside the Organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge with issues related to literacy, non-formal education, teachers’ training or higher education systems.
- Demonstrated fund-raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present findings clearly and concisely.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate team and staff and to maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good IT skills.
- Excellent/very good knowledge of French (written and spoken) and good knowledge of English.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in the field of gender equality, economics of education, statistics and/or ICT.
- Relevant experience in a field duty station, of which at least 3 years acquired in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Work experience in Post-Conflict/Post-Disaster (PCPD) situations in education.
- Good knowledge of the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN System.
- Knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese and/or a local Cameroonian language.
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Yaounde
- Grade: P-5, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2016-12-28