Senior Security Guard, Security and Safety Division
Closing Date for Applications:Wed, 14 Dec 2016
Functional area: Administration
The Security and Safety Division (SET) of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications for one or several positions as a Senior Security Guard in the Facility Protection Section which is in charge of ensuring the physical security of the ECB’s premises, property, staff and visitors. As such, it is responsible for adopting all operational and organisational measures necessary to achieve this goal.
The Section comprises a number of ECB members of staff and is also supported by a higher number of security guards from an external security service provider. The Section deals with visitors to the ECB, enforces security checks at the entrances to the ECB’s buildings, carries out constant surveillance of the premises and takes action to prevent and counter any type of security or safety incident.
The successful applicant will be entrusted with the following main tasks:
- ensuring the proper operational functioning of the ECB’s security control centres, including monitoring the video surveillance cameras, handling intrusion and other alarms, running the security-related radio and initiating response measures to emergency phone calls;
- supervising and coordinating the activities of the staff of the external security service provider and following up on the smooth running of the facility protection operations during and outside of business hours;
- acting adequately in response to security and safety incidents;
- when necessary, initiating the ECB’s alert and mobilisation procedure, thereby follows a proper response to an exceptional situation, crisis or disaster;
- monitoring the implementation of facility protection policies and procedures by the staff of the external security service provider and by ECB staff;
- supervising and coordinating security measures during internal events held by the ECB;
- conducting performance quality checks at all posts held by the staff of the external service provider and reporting accordingly;
- drafting security and technical incident reports and follows a proper logging in the dedicated database;
- acting as a subject-matter expert in an area of relevance for facility protection operations – this may include coaching/training staff on these topics;
- supporting the drafting of standard operating procedures;
- providing support for administrative and job-related tasks.
Qualifications and experience:
Applicants must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- vocational training with a formal qualification in a security-related discipline, or alternatively four years of work experience gained in the police or the military, or a university degree in a security related or other relevant field;
- at least one year of work experience in supervising and coordinating the operations of a group of staff, preferably in a high-profile or international organisation;
- ideally, recent completion of a leadership/people management training course;
- practical experience and theoretical knowledge of physical security;
- ideally, knowledge of how business continuity is organised in large organisations and of the main internal/external counterparts of the physical security function in crisis situations;
- knowledge and understanding of the key physical security systems (e.g. access control, intrusion detection, security management systems, etc.);
- recent certification in first aid;
- certification in fire prevention and occupational health and safety would be advantageous;
- ideally, a formal qualification as a radiation protection specialist;
- adequate physical fitness and the ability to pass a physical fitness test designed by the ECB to demonstrate the required level of anaerobic capacity and upper body strength;
- advanced command of either English or German (equivalent to level C1 under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), and at least an intermediate command of the other language (equivalent to level B1) – advanced command of both languages would be considered a strong asset;
- working knowledge of MS Office, in particular Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- user knowledge of MS Visio would be desirable.
The successful candidate will have the following behavioural competencies:
- communicates ideas in a clear and effective manner for mutual comprehension;
- understands who his/her clients are and what their expectations are, and proposes improvements to the service provided on the basis of feedback;
- takes the initiative to follow and achieve agreed objectives and reports to supervisors accordingly;
- is comfortable working without close supervision and knows when to involve his/her superiors;
- leads by example and by earning respect;
- embraces new technology and processes with enthusiasm and carries out new tasks with energy and drive;
- remains cool-headed and can be relied upon even in difficult circumstances, and has a number of well-established ways of defusing tension;
- delivers results within tight time frames and exceeds expectations even for challenging tasks.
Three-year fixed-term contract , with possible conversion to a contract of indefinite duration subject to individual performance and organisational needs.
To further enhance the diversity of its workforce, the ECB particularly encourages applications from female candidates.
The successful applicant will be expected to perform duties during non-standard working hours based on a 24/7 shift roster. The position is initially based at the ECB premises located in Frankfurt’s City Centre and this may change over time based on the needs of the service.
German language skills are a requirement for this position. The position holder will be required to interact with German authorities (for example, to understand and apply German building standards and to respond to and communicate with local emergency response forces in the event of an incident) and local suppliers to deal with documents related to the ECB’s premises that are drafted in German.
English language skills are also required for this position, as English is the working language of the ECB.
The language abilities of candidates will be tested as part of the recruitment process.
A successful candidate who has only an intermediate command of either German or English will be expected to take language tuition to bring this level to at least a higher intermediate command (equivalent to level B2) of the language. Tuition will be organised and paid for in full by the ECB, and lessons will take place during working hours unless otherwise agreed.
If the above applies, the language abilities of the successful candidate will also be tested at the end of the probationary period to assess the level of progress, which is a pre-condition for successfully completing the probationary period. Should progress be slower than expected, the ECB may consider extending the probationary period.
Maintaining adequate physical fitness and the ability to pass a physical fitness test designed by the ECB to demonstrate the required level of anaerobic capacity and upper body strength prior to and throughout the employment as Senior Security Guard.
The selection committee may place suitable candidates on a reserve list, from which candidates may be appointed to similar positions in the same or another business area. It may also be decided to fill the position advertised in this vacancy notice with a suitable candidate from the reserve list resulting from a recruitment procedure for a similar position. Candidates will be informed accordingly if this happens.
How to apply:
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using our online application form. An "Applicants' Guide" can be downloaded from our recruitment pages.
The recruitment process may include a pre-screening exercise, a written exercise, a presentation and interviews.
Further information on the ECB's conditions of employment for fixed-term positions can be found at http://www.ecb.europa.eu/careers/newcomers/fixed-term/html/index.en.html.
Applications are accepted from nationals of Member States of the European Union.
The requirements laid down in the vacancy notice must be met by the closing date for applications.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill the same position again, or similar positions, within 12 months of the selection decision.
This position has been allocated to salary band:C
Please mention in your applicaiton that you found the job at UNjobfinder
- Organization: ECB - European Central Bank
- Location: Frankfurt
- Grade: Mid level
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2016-12-14