Job Title: Area Coordinator
Location: Based in Dohuk, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, with local travel
Contract Duration: 11 months
Reports to: Country Director
General Description of the Programme
GOAL is an international NGO operating across the globe. Our mission is to work towards ensuring that the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food, water and sanitation, healthcare and education.
GOAL Iraq programme was established in 2015 to respond to immediate humanitarian needs and support economic and livelihoods development. GOAL programmes in Dohuk support livelihood and economic development through a market systems approach including vocational and business training, small grants and technical support with a focus on the agricultural sector. GOAL continues to seek to expand it programme in Iraq to meet humanitarian needs.
Overview of the role
The AC is responsible for all activities in the programme site and for coordination and communication with relevant stakeholders. This responsibility covers the operational/support functions (Security, Human Resources, Logistics, Finance and Admin) and direct programme activities including coordination, programme planning, overseeing the day-to-day operations of senior field staff and partner management.
- Coordination and programme planning of the GOAL teams
- Line management of the Programme Manager, Logistics Officers, Finance Manager and other senior field staff depending on programme expansion
- Management of the GOAL office and residence
- Management of staff safety and security
- Submission of internal reports and input for donor reports and proposals
- Coordination with the Government, Local Authorities, UN and NGOs
- Deliver capacity building of local partners or stakeholders as required based on capacity assessments
- Oversee HR issues in the field site
- Implement other tasks as requested by the Country Director
The Programme Manager leads on the delivery of programme under the management of the AC. Responsibilities of the AC include:
- Chair regular planning and review meetings with programmes and operational/support staff
- Ensure joint work plans are developed and monitor implementation
- Support or lead on project activities in coordination with the programme manager
- Management of partners, including capacity building, with a focus on compliance, systems and procedures
- Know and ensure compliance with Donor requirements for projects
- Ensure tracking and timely submission of input to donor reporting
- Participate in the development of new donor proposals
- Liaise with external stakeholders; attend all appropriate co-ordination meetings and share information appropriately
- Ensure good relations with local authorities at District and Governorate level
- Liaise with donors as requested by the Country Director
- Local reporting and compliance with all NGO registration requirements
The AC is the Security Focal Point for their programme site, and thus responsible for the safety of their team. Security duties include:
- Implement GOAL’s Security Guidelines and Procedures and ensure that staff are familiar with these guidelines and procedures.
- Periodically review the site specific security guidelines.
- Ensure all office and accommodation meet basic security standards, including fire prevention, lockdown and evacuation procedures.
- Provide a security briefing to all staff/visitors arriving into the site for the first time.
- Monitor the security situation and provide regular information to the CD of any incidents, changes or adverse conditions affecting staff safety or project operations in the region.
- Working with the Finance Manager to ensure that GOAL’s Financial Guidelines are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the Financial Controller/CD
- Carry out monthly review of spending and forecasting
- Review of financial paper work to ensure all transactions are properly authorized and that all the required supporting documentation is on file
- Manage the logistics staff in the programme sites
- Ensure that GOAL’s logistical policies and procedures are adhered to at all times, reporting any breaches to the CD
- Ensure that the Logistics Office provides timely and efficient support to programme delivery
- Implementation of the GOAL Iraq HR Manual and all related policies
- Ensure all new hires are properly authorized, full recruitment process conducted and contract of employment issued
- Provide training and mentoring to all staff especially to operational/support functions
- Review monthly payroll.
- Ensure implementation of staff performance management system.
- At least 3 years directly related work experience
- Strong systems and compliance background including logistics and financial management
- Experience liaising with governmental / local authorities and other NGOs
- Experience in managing staff safety and security requirements and good analytical skills of political and security situations.
- Experience with donor proposal and reporting requirements
- Good interpersonal and motivational skills
- Flexible and motivated
Excellent spoken and written English
Arabic and/or Kurdish language skills
Experience of livelihoods programming in humanitarian or development contexts
Experience in Kurdistan Region of Iraq
Experience of using a market systems approach to programme design
General terms and conditions
GOAL has Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies. Any job offer made is also subject to police clearance and anti-terrorist check clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and is subject to change.. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Iraq
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2016-12-09