Climate Information and</p><p>EWS Specialist</p><p>Division of Mitigation and Adaptation
Climate Information and
Division of Mitigation and Adaptation Grade IS – 4/5 Specialist / Senior Specialist Duty station Songdo, Incheon-Korea Contract type 3 years (fixed-term) Number of posts 1 Recruitment type International
Unit, Division/Office Division of Mitigation and Adaptation Closing date 30 November 2016 Reporting to Director of Mitigation and Adaptation Vacancy code GCF/Recruit/105 The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to expand collective human action to respond to climate change — the defining challenge of our time. Jointly established by 194 Member States of the United Nations in 2010, GCF invests in transformational projects that build low-emission and climate-resilient economies in developing countries. The Fund will serve as an enabler of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, channelling significant financial resources to developing countries to make an ambitious contribution to global climate action.
To realize this unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. It is seeking a Climate Information and EWS Specialist who will be part of a growing organization that offers exciting challenges and responsibilities. Position description
The Climate Information and EWS Specialist will provide technical expertise, support the development of a pipeline of investments within the result area of climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction and support administration of a portfolio of investments. S/he will bring significant experience to the Fund in stepping up efforts for investments in climate information services and Early Warning Systems (EWS). S/he will work closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders by providing substantive guidance on methodological matters and technical inputs to proposed investments and activities. Duties and responsibilities
The Climate Information and EWS Specialist will support the team in the following tasks, including but not limited to:
- Developing and managing a pipeline of projects/programmes in climate information services and systems, agrometeorology, meteorology and climatology, early warning systems and other related climate adaptation and disaster risk reduction issues;
- Reviewing and assessing projects/programmes, funding proposals and concept notes as well as other applications to the Fund, by providing high-quality inputs and assuring compliance with the GCF policies and procedures;
- Monitoring of the relevant portfolio and providing support to the implementation of the projects/programmes to ensure their performance is in line with intended results;
- Developing relevant policy documents, operational guidelines, procedures, document templates, reports, tools and other products; Managing external consultants, monitoring performance, reviewing outputs and recommending and taking corrective actions when needed;
- Strengthening the Fund’s knowledge management activities by providing technical expertise in the thematic areas.
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree in climatology/meteorology, science/engineering, agriculture, environmental engineering, civil engineering, or a related field;
- At least 9 years of relevant technical and/or commercial work experience gained from (i) an engineering and/or consultancy organization; (ii) an organization in the delivery of adaptation solution and/or agricultural and food security investments in response to climate risks; or (iii) a bank or fund engaged in providing financing at scale to developing country partners; detailed knowledge of project and programme structuring, appraisal and administration is an advantage;
- In-depth knowledge and proven operational experience in Climate Information Services and Early Warning Systems;
- Experience in managing consultants and related assignments;
- Work experience in least developed countries, small island states and/or Africa would be a distinct advantage.
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, maintaining good working relationships;
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures;
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
- Planning & organizing
- Client orientation
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Climate Information and EWS Specialist”
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Location: Incheon
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-23