Water Sector Specialist</p><p>Division of Mitigation and Adaptation
Water Sector Specialist
Division of Mitigation and Adaptation Grade IS – 4/5 Specialist / Senior Specialist Duty station Songdo, Incheon-Korea Contract type 3 years (fixed-term) Number of posts 1 Recruitment type International
Unit, Division/Office Division of Mitigation and Adaptation Closing date 30 November 2016 Reporting to Director of Mitigation and Adaptation Vacancy code GCF/Recruit/104 The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to expand collective human action to respond to climate change — the defining challenge of our time. Jointly established by 194 Member States of the United Nations in 2010, GCF invests in transformational projects that build low-emission and climate-resilient economies in developing countries. The Fund will serve as an enabler of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, channelling significant financial resources to developing countries to make an ambitious contribution to global climate action.
To realize this unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. It is seeking a Water Sector Specialist who will be part of a growing organization that offers exciting challenges and responsibilities. Position description
The Water Sector Specialist will provide technical expertise, support the development of a pipeline of investments within the result area of integrated water resources management, sanitation, health (water-borne diseases), flood risk management, and support administration of a portfolio of investments. S/he will bring significant experience to the Fund, in stepping up efforts for investments in climate adaptive integrated water resources management systems. S/he will work closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders by providing substantive guidance on methodological matters and technical inputs to proposed investments and activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Developing and managing a pipeline of projects/programmes in integrated water resources management, sanitation, health (water borne diseases), flood risk management, and other water safety and security issues;
- Reviewing and assessing projects/programmes, funding proposals and concept notes as well as other applications to the Fund, by providing high-quality inputs and assuring compliance with the GCF policies and procedures;
- Monitoring of the relevant portfolio and providing support to the implementation of the projects/programmes to ensure their performance is in line with intended results;
- Developing relevant policy documents, operational guidelines, procedures, document templates, reports, tools and other products;
- Managing external consultants, monitoring performance, reviewing outputs and recommending and taking corrective actions when needed;
- Strengthening the Fund’s knowledge management activities by providing technical expertise in the thematic areas.
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree in water resources management, water and sanitation, agriculture, environmental engineering, civil engineering or a related field;
- Minimum 9 years of relevant experience in project origination, development, appraisal, management and/or financing, from working with a utility, consultancy firm, non-governmental organization, international organizations, donor or multilateral agencies; experience in more than one of these roles would be an asset;
- Relevant experience in climate finance operations in water sector.
- Substantial expertise in one or more of the following: water supply and sanitation, rural and/or urban water resources management; water policy and regulatory systems; and participatory approaches to water management;
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change will be a plus;
- Familiarity with climate policy as well as keep abreast of ongoing discussions and decisions under the Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Experience in working in developing countries, with a particular focus on LDCs, SIDs and Africa; experience working in international organizations is highly desirable.
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, communicate at various levels and maintain good working relationships;
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
- Planning & organizing
- Client orientation
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Water Sector Specialist”
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Location: Incheon
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-23