Ecosystems Management Specialist
Ecosystems Management Specialist Grade IS – 4/5 Specialist / Senior Specialist Duty station Songdo, Incheon-Korea Contract type 3 years (fixed-term) Number of posts 1 Recruitment type International
Unit Division of Mitigation and Adaptation Closing date 30 November 2016 Reporting to Director of Mitigation and Adaptation Vacancy code GCF/Recruit/103 The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to expand collective human action to respond to climate change — the defining challenge of our time. Jointly established by 194 Member States of the United Nations in 2010, GCF invests in transformational projects that build low-emission and climate-resilient economies in developing countries. The Fund will serve as an enabler of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, channelling significant financial resources to developing countries to make an ambitious contribution to global climate action.
To realize this unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. It is seeking a Ecosystems Management Specialist who will be part of a growing organization that offers exciting challenges and responsibilities. Position description
The Ecosystems Management Specialist will provide technical expertise, support the development of a pipeline of investments within the results areas of ecosystems and ecosystem services as well as forest and land use and support administration of a portfolio of investments. S/he will work closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other internal/external stakeholders by providing substantive guidance on methodological matters and technical inputs to proposed investments and activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Developing and managing a pipeline of projects/programmes on ecosystems and ecosystem services management as well as forestry and land use;
- Leading the review and assessment of projects/programmes funding proposals and concept notes as well as other applications to the Fund, by providing high-quality inputs and assuring compliance with the GCF policies and procedures;
- Monitoring of the relevant portfolio and providing support to the implementation of the projects/programmes to ensure their performance is in line with intended results;
- Coordinating closely with accredited entities, national designated authorities and other divisions of the Secretariat; Developing relevant policy documents, operational guidelines, procedures, document templates, reports, tools and other products;
- Strengthening the Fund’s knowledge management activities by providing technical expertise in the thematic area.
- Contributing to the design and implementation of operations information systems; and
- Managing external consultants, monitoring performance, reviewing outputs and recommending and taking corrective actions when needed;
- Providing thought and action to promote the GCF investments that shift the paradigm low-emission and climate-resilient development.
Required experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree in ecosystem ecology, geography, environmental science, forestry, environmental, economics; natural resources management or other relevant fields;
- Minimum 9 years of relevant experience in project origination, development, appraisal, management and project finance/investment.
- Relevant experience in climate finance operations in ecosystems and land use sector.
- Experience in working with international agencies, donors and multilateral agencies in more than one of these roles would be an asset;
- Substantive expertise in one or more of the following areas: ecosystems management, ecosystem services including payments for ecosystem services, ecosystems-based adaptation, climate change adaptation of various ecosystem types (i.e. floodplain and terrestrial, coastal and marine, desert and dryland, forests, etc.). Knowledge of forest ecosystems and REDD+.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of climate change and climate variability in relation to natural ecosystems as well as keep abreast of ongoing discussions and decisions under the Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change will be a plus;
- Experience in working in developing countries, with a particular focus on LDCs, SIDs and Africa;
- Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders, communicate at various levels and maintain good working relationships;
- Good teamwork, proactive and can-do attitude, and ability to act as a team leader when required;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage
- Planning & organizing
- Client orientation
- Commitment to continuous learning
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: email@example.com
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Ecosystems Management Specialist”
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Location: Incheon
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-11-30