Shelter & Settlement Advisor
Lausanne | Geneva
Role & Responsibilities
With the Senior Infrastructure Advisor (SIA), help develop and strengthen Medair’s Shelter and Settlements (S&S) strategy, policy and field activities, offering strategic and technical advice to HQ and the field, as well as training and coaching to Medair staff. Help develop the capacity of Medair to respond quickly and effectively in new emergencies, including strategy development, design and implementation of shelter responses in the field as part of Emergency Response Team (ERT) deployments.
Take a look at Medair’s Shelter & Infrastructure work.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Strategy Development & Policy
• Develop a comprehensive Medair Shelter and Settlements (S&S) strategy.
• Assist country programmes in the development of their shelter and settlements strategies.
• Develop metrics for portfolio / comprehensive measurement of field S&S programme.
• Assist in drafting / periodically reviewing the annual Shelter & Infrastructure (S&I) sector operating budget.
• Assist with developing related organisational policy in the sector.
• Research and stay informed on academic and technical issues and public policy.
• Assist country programmes in development and review of any new country programme policies or guidelines; follow minutes of relevant clusters where operational in delegated country programmes.
• Attend relevant conferences to keep abreast of current S&S best practices and new initiatives.
Quality Management & Promotion of Best Practice
• Provide timely, evidence-based advice to field teams in delegated programmes on a day-to-day basis.
• Provide technical advice to Heads of Country Programmes (HCP) and technical field staff on the S&S aspects of projects at all key points, including needs assessment, programme design, new proposal review, implementation, monitoring & evaluation, report submission etc.
• Where necessary, travel to field locations to advise, or source specialists to provide support.
• Work with government ministries / relevant statutory authorities/ other institutions on standards / compliance for S&S projects; maintain a database of relevant construction materials and methods.
• Support in the recruitment, including supporting with screening CVs and interviews.
• Support in establishing and maintaining a regular communication and exchange of information between HQ and field staff involved in construction projects; jointly responsible for design and delivery of Shelter and Infrastructure Workshop for Medair sector-specific staff.
• Support in designing and supervising construction projects in existing country programmes.
• Act as the sectoral focal point for all Shelter and Settlement matters, and strengthen Medair’s sectoral capacity and professionalism; encourage research and improve coherence between S&S projects across Medair country programmes, to inform and improve programming.
• Be available to speak at professional conferences; write technical articles for inclusion in specialist publications; review all communications relating to S&S projects.
Emergency Response Team
• Working closely with the Head of Emergency Response, liaise with Logistics on prepositioning and with other HQ departments on aspects of ER preparedness.
• Contribute to Medair post-response lessons learned evaluations.
• Recommend and develop context-specific shelter emergency response policies, guidelines, procedures and processes in close coordination, including needs assessment tools, outcome and impact measurement, and other elements linked to the project cycle for emergencies.
• Contribute S&S related information to Emergency Response Committee meetings; assist the ERT with drafting a Preliminary Scenario Definition for Non-Food Item / Shelter / Infrastructure.
• Be available to join initiated emergency response assessment teams following a natural disaster or complex emergency.
• In field: Attend cluster meetings, carry out assessments, give technical input to strategic planning, concept notes and proposals to donors.
• Provide advice and implementation support to field sectoral staff, Emergency Response Team members, and Human Resources at all key stages of the project management cycle including needs assessment, technical strategy and design, implementation as well as sector-specific monitoring and evaluation; complete final report to contribute to lessons learned.
• Responsible for managing HQ procurement; developing procurement plans, initiate, negotiate and monitor long term purchase agreements for goods and services, and ensure on time renewal.
• Advise and support HQ departments in planning, organising and monitoring procurement for consultants, services, equipment, visibility, and any other material requested.
International Headquarters - Team Spiritual Life
• Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
• Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
• Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
• Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
• Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
• University degree in Architecture or Urban planning (preferred), Engineering or related field.
• Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
• Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) is an asset.
Experience / Competencies
• Minimum 2 years’ professional experience, including work on construction sites.
• Two years of experience in a humanitarian setting, or through short-term consultancies.
• Experience in the design and supervision of construction projects.
• Knowledge of appropriate construction materials and methods.
• Strong ability to think strategically along with analytical skills.
• Excellent leadership and project management skills.
• Excellent communication and good negotiation skills.
• Problem-solver, dynamic, mature.
• Good self-perception and self-control.
• Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
• Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
• Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
• Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
• Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
• Able to work in a multicultural team.
• Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
• Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
• Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
• Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
• A motivating work environment.
• The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
• Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
• For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
• Depending on Emergency Response field deployments, as well as visits to on-going programmes, travel can be up to 50% per year.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
To apply, then:
b) go to http://www.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/shelter-settlements-advisor-ch-hq c) and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
You can follow us on Facebook , Twitter , or LinkedIn .
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Lausanne | Geneva
- Grade: Junior
- Disaster Management
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2017-01-23