Editor (English) - New Delhi
The Regional Communication Center (RCC) of the ICRC in New Delhi currently provides communication support to the ICRC delegations in the Asia Pacific region. To broaden the panel of its services, we are looking for an experienced English Editor with excellent English language skills to join the team. The Editor performs editorial and coordination work as part of the team at the Regional Communication Centre in New Delhi. S/he reports to the Head of the Regional Communications Centre (HoRCC).
The English editor provides editorial oversight & support services to communication departments in delegations worldwide for public communication of English-language content. S/he is responsible for ensuring the grammatical, contextual, intellectual and factual integrity of specific content generated in English. In order to manage the volume of material to be edited, s/he will also develop and coordinate a network of external editors to support her/him in her/his tasks. S/he will work closely with the Language and Publications Unit at the ICRC's headquarters and with the English digital copyeditor also based in the Regional Communication Centre of New Delhi.
What you will do:
- Assess the quality of text (contents and language) and if problems occur, liaise directly with the client (Regional Public Relations Officer, Communication Delegate, etc.).
- Edit a whole range of texts in English (press releases, key reports, policy and position papers, web articles, social media posts, texts for local publication, presentations for press conferences, etc.).
- Liaise regularly about terminology, style, etc. with the English section of the Language and Publications Unit at ICRC's headquarters in order to achieve coherence and consistency across ICRC content. S/he relays the chosen terminology and style to the pool of external editors.
- Prioritise requests and determine and manage the workflow with delegations and assign work to external suppliers (as per workload).
- Manage editing requests on a daily basis either by editing work yourself or commissioning it from external editors through the TRM tool (Translation request management – module for editing).
- Develop a network of external editors and regularly assess their work, while ensuring a coherent grid of fees across the range of services in order to ensure a smooth and efficient outsourcing policy.
- Ensure the optimal use and quality of the external network of editors, distribution of work, manage proofreading.
- Search for reference material for external editors to ensure that the external editors have all the documentation necessary for their work.
- Use WordPress, as the content management system.
- Liaise with the Head of the Regional Communications Centre regarding the workload in order to achieve coherence with all strategic planning at the delegation level.
- Implement terminology and style decisions made by the English section of the Language and Publications Unit.
We are looking for someone with:
- A University degree in English or similar from a recognized academic institution
- At least six years' experience writing for an international audience, whether in the private sector or for international organizations
- At least four years' experience in editing
- At least two years' experience at coordinating and managing a team or pool of editors
You should also have:
- Excellent English-language writing skills
- A robust approach to editing and a strong attention to detail
- Excellent ability to plan and organize work
- Capacity to work within tight deadlines and under pressure
- Very strong client-orientated approach (towards internal clients)
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage a network of external suppliers worldwide
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- A creative, flexible, forward-looking, dynamic, empathetic, solution-oriented, and innovative character.
- The willingness and availability to travel (domestic and international)
- The strength and ability to support team members effectively and to create a conducive working environment.
- The skills to be a lateral thinker capable of understanding and integrating multiple internal and external perspectives
We offer a rewarding and enriching work in a humanitarian and international environment.
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their comprehensive CV, work certificates and letter of motivation in English, as well as salary expectations, on e-mail ID "firstname.lastname@example.org".
Last date of sending application: 14 December 2016
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: USG, Under-Secretary-General
- Closing Date: 2016-12-14