The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmes include protection, livelihoods, food distribution, water and sanitation, emergency relief and advocacy amongst others.
The DRC office in Nairobi is a Regional Office providing support and guidance of DRC operations in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Uganda, Tanzania and Yemen. There are also regional programmes which are supported from the regional office. Currently there are over 1,200 staff in the region.
The IT Assistant will provide additional support required to maintain a standard level of service to DRC/DDG staff in the field locations; implementing the backup, network infrastructure and optimizing the IT resources for efficient operation.
- Updating the global address book in O365.
- Performing on-job training on advanced features of O365- One drive, Shared Calendar, Share point and Lync.
- Assist in performing software installations and support day-to-day systems operations.
- Configuration and setup of the LAN ensuring the right standard.
- Upgrading of hardware and software in the field locations.
- Tracking software licenses in operation
- Setup efficient local and offsite backup
- Setup centralized anti-virus server within the location and ensuring it’s automatically updated.
- Performing preventive maintenance service on the IT equipment on a scheduled basis.
- Perform general repairs on IT equipments and peripherals as instructed
- Support to maintain an inventory schedule of all IT equipment and software in use and in the store, through diagnosing their status and performance.
- Maintain a record of all equipment received for repairs and maintenance. Ensure that internet invoices are received on time and forwarded to finance for payment
- Provide help desk and technical support to the end users.
- Provide Simple guidelines training to the staff during service time.
- Roving to other field locations to ensure proper IT standards are maintained.
- Proactively advocate for field office IT needs
- Work with IT management to develop, document and implement procedures and standards for field office based software, hardware, and network infrastructure
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or other related field from a recognized institution
- At least 6 months experience working in an IT support environment preferably in an iNGO
- Demonstrable experience in Virtualization and cloud computing
- Strong, solid knowledge of network and communications technology, to include but, not limited to, server operating systems including both windows and Linux based OS, network architecture, IP based networks (voice and data), satellite communications, desktop solutions, email systems, etc.
- Knowledge of and competence in Microsoft operating systems and office suites
- High level of hardware/software trouble shooting experience
- Quick in learning new systems
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a customer-focused, motivated and pro-active approach to your work
- Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English and Kiswahili
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment
- Ability to work with and manage outside vendors (hardware, software, services, IPS’s, Telecommunications, etc.)
The IT Assistant reports to the Regional IT Manager.
Availability: January 2016
Duty Station: Nairobi
Contract: This is a six months’ contract. National terms and conditions apply in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.dk
Application and CV
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 9 December 2016.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: USG, Under-Secretary-General
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-12-09