Legal Officer Consultant
Rome | Rome
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a Legal Officer Consultant position, based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Under the general supervision of a Senior Legal Officer, to provide a range of legal advice and services to support various WFP offices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Undertake legal research and analysis, handle a range of multi-disciplinary legal matters including interpretation and application of various legal instruments in the relevant area of concentration to facilitate the provision of quality legal services.
- Review legal documents, identify and analyze issues, presenting findings and recommendations for internal review to contribute to the decision-making process.
- Assist in preparation of legal opinions or advice and background papers, studies, memoranda, reports and other legal documents to contribute to coherence and quality of legal documents.
- Contribute to the preparation of agreements and contracts with public and private entities including participation in negotiation and settlement of claims and disputes to meet unique client needs.
- Identify potential liabilities, particularly vis-à-vis third parties, and assist in the management of risks in WFP’s activities to contribute to well-informed decisions.
- Prepare and assess briefs of evidence to contribute to legal analysis and solutions.
- Assist in providing legal advice and interpretations and reviewing administrative decisions.
- Assist senior Legal Officers in servicing committees, task forces, expert working groups and other bodies with legal advice and preparation/review of legal documents to contribute to the formulation of WFP’s position.
- Other as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Under the general supervision of a Senior Legal Officer or his designate, the Legal Consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
Carry out research and provide advice on a variety of legal issues including commercial contracts, insurance contracts, agreements, institutional and operational modalities and other legal documents.
Prepare legal opinions, reports, memoranda and correspondence.
Draft a variety of legal documents, including legal motions/submissions, manuals, policies, agreements, contracts and resolutions, and study legal questions arising out of the interpretation or application of relevant rules, policies, conventions and agreements; develop new legal modalities to meet unique needs/circumstances.
Provide legal interpretations on a full range of issues regarding WFP’s various internal Regulations, Rules and Policies, including the General Regulations, Financial Regulations, Rules of Procedure of the Executive Board and other basic texts.
Negotiate commercial and operational contracts; draft, negotiate, review and/or interpret basic agreements and cooperation agreements with governments.
Provide advice to country offices, HQ units on a wide variety of issues.
Conduct/engage in dispute resolution, including liaising with external counsel where appropriate.
Any other legal tasks, as required by the Legal Office
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Law, or First University degree in Law with additional relevant experience and training in private, commercial or public Law. Must be qualified to practice or admitted to practice by a recognized national or state bar or law society.
Typically three years or more of relevant experience in law and provision of legal services.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven ability to write accurately and concisely
- Strong negotiation skills and problem solving approach
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts, procedures and terminology for review, examination and processing of a range of legal documents.
- Knowledge of various legal research sources, techniques and ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments and draft legal papers.
- Business acumen.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages). Fluency in French or Spanish is an asset.
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on "View Vacancy" to read the position requirements and "Apply" to submit your application.
NOTE: Applicants will have to register and create on-line CVs to be able to apply. Hard copies of CVs or applications through e-mails will not be accepted. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information.
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome | Rome
- Grade: Mid level
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2016-12-15