Regional Medical Officer, P4 - Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok | Bangkok
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the position of Regional Medical Officer at the P4 level, based in our Regional Country Office in Bangkok, Thailand.
Under the functional supervision and guidance of the Chief of Medical Service for the Staff Wellness Division, the Regional Medical Officer, P4 will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Carry out frequent and systematic field visits to the top priority countries of the region and report to Regional Directors and RMWM Chief on findings recommending solutions based on local approaches;
- To design and coordinate the delivery of medical services in the region for efficient and effective promotion, prevention and protection of the health and safety of WFP staff following the Wellness Strategy and the Regional strategic objectives;
- Provide technical expertise, advice and solutions that support strategic results, and formulate regional strategies and approaches where appropriate;
- Provide travel medicine services for staff on official travel, incorporating destination-specific health advice, facilitating access to immunization, prophylactic medications and travel medical kits;
- Manage, advise, and report on all health matters related to staff including:
- Performing and assessing medical examinations and clearances for national staff and for locally-recruited staff related to recruitment, periodic medical examination, pre-departure briefing for missions to the field, management or assistance with follow-up of chronic medical conditions diagnosed and for which treatment has already started etc.
- Leaves due to illness;
- Identifying health hazards for staff and/or dependents (work-related and/or environmental);
- Ensuring compliance to all UN medical protocols and recommendations (HIV/AIDS, first-aid training, PEP kit country specific protocols including PICT and VCCT)
- Support WFP Country Offices in the management and monitoring of the implementation of the Service Level Agreements or Memoranda of Understanding regarding the sharing of DPKO/DFS Missions field medical services to WFP staff;
- Access and liaise with local medical facilities to ascertain proper medical care rendered and establish a referral list and updated list of reasonable and customary costs, whilst monitoring and verifying appropriateness, reasonableness and customary nature of major medical bills/treatments as required;
- Provide surge capacity to the corporate and UN System emergency response capacity including mass casualty incidents;
- The RMO is NOT the primary care physician of WFP staff: however s/he does provide first aid and emergency services in response to accidents occurring in the workplace.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Doctorate in Medicine;
- Postgraduate medical qualification in, preferably, one of the following medical specialties: emergency medicine, internal medicine, occupational health and safety, and/or public health;
- Must have professional experience in the field of Occupational Safety and Health;
- Currently registered to practise medicine in own country or another UN member state is required.
- Minimum 10 years of clinical practice of which, at least, 1-2 years should be in an international organization or international environment;
- Practical experience working in remote and isolated environments;
- Proven success in implementation of policies and protocols with limited resources;
- Proven experience in building effective professional networks in international environments;
- At least 5 years of successful management of interdisciplinary teams;
- An asset would be experience within the UN system, or similar NGO.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated leadership, management and team building skills;
- Excellent communication, presentation and drafting skills;
- Knowledge of addressing the psychosocial needs of humanitarian workers;
- Experience in emergency management (crisis or disaster medicine), travel medicine, tropical and infectious disease;
- Negotiation skills;
- Project design and management;
- Training experience and facilitation is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of other UN languages (Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) are desirable.
Please note that this position is rotational and the successful candidate will also be expected to serve in other duty stations, currently Regional Bureau Dakar and Regional Bureau Nairobi.
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on "View Vacancy" to read the position requirements and "Apply" to submit your application.
NOTE: Applicants will have to register and create on-line CVs to be able to apply. Hard copies of CVs or applications through e-mails will not be accepted. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information.
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Bangkok | Bangkok
- Grade: Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-01-08