Logistics Coordinator - South Sudan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been operational in South Sudan since 2004 providing assistance to IDPs, returnees, refugees and host communities in areas affected by displacement. NRC currently operates an integrated programme focused on six sectors (core competencies): Education, Shelter, Food Security, WASH, Camp Coordination/Camp Management (CCCM) and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC programmes are designed to provide protection and durable solutions for IDPs, refugees and returnees. In South Sudan NRC focuses both on emergency humanitarian responses and early recovery work.
The position holder reports to the Project Manager RRT with technical line to Log manager and supervises Project Officer(s)
This same advert may be used to deployment to other Country offices other than one initial published for.
- Generic Responsibilities
- Implement NRC’s logistical systems and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence to Logistics Handbook, other NRC policies and donor requirements
- Provide anti-corruption, transparency and cost efficiency focus in all processes (e.g. in procurement, vehicle management, asset management)
- Ensure safe and efficient transport of staff and materials/goods
- Supervision, training and development of logistical team
- Prepare and submit periodic reports and plans as required
- Ensure proper filing of all logistics documents in all offices
- Train and support project staff in procurement matters
- Specific Responsibilities are:
- Provide leadership in specific technical areas of competence, e.g. in recruitment and training of logistics and procurement staff for field operation
- Coordinate and support programme delivery through timely procurement of good and services
- Ensure that logistics operations are in line with NRC’s logistics policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Identification of logistics needs and establishment of logistics structures, functions and systems in new field locations if/when required.
- Identification and obtaining of all resources (including personnel) required to ensure smooth functioning of field logistics operations.
- Identification of suitable and reliable suppliers, vendors, providers and contractors of goods and services in support of program implementation in accordance with NRC logistics guidelines.
- Establishment of accountable and functional in-bound and out-bound logistics and warehousing systems and procedures.
- Ensure rational vehicle utilization, maintenance, fuel consumption monitoring and controls systems while on field missions
- Assess capacity building needs among logistics staff in collaboration with the support and discuss actions for implementation.
- Ensure that procurement, assets list, inventory, stock reports are prepared as required internally by NRC and/or by donors (monthly, quarterly, and yearly)
- Ensuring all team members are aware of the do’s and don’ts when undertaking Rapid Mission, e.g. Respect cultural norms, Do no harm, Confidentiality, Impartiality
- Ensure operational linkages with other UN Agency and NGO partners involved in integrated missions eg RMM
- Other responsibilities as required by line management
- Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in logistic
- Experience in working with Rapid Response missions while basic facilities are available.
- 4 years of experience from working as a logistic in logistic in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- experience in establishing systems and procedures
- Technical expertise in logistic and emergency programming required
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the context in South Sudan
- Experience with start-up, exit or scale down programming
- Solid understanding and experience of crisis contexts and working in complex emergencies
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Ability to work under stressful conditions, meet deadlines and travel extensively at short notice to support field operations or capacity building
- Good networking and collaborations skills
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations and ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs
- Motivated and dedicated to NRC values and ways of working
- High degree of creativity and initiating new ideas and seeking local or contextualized solutions
- Transparent and accountable
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: Begining January, 2017
- Contract period: 9 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Juba-Roving
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Juba
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-12-11