This position is located within the International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ). The IIJ is based in Malta with a Governing Board of Administrators representing its thirteen members established under Maltese law with the mission to provide training to lawmakers, judges, prosecutors, investigators, correction officers and other justice sector stakeholders on how to address terrorism and related transnational criminal activities within a rule of law framework. For more information on the IIJ, please visit the IIJ website at www.theiij.org. All interested applicants meeting the qualifications below should submit a cover letter and resume to the IIJ Secretariat at BONNICIC@THEIIJ.ORG no later than Friday, 23 December 2016 clearly stating “Program Manager” in the subject.
Key Focus Area
The main focus of this position is the program development and implementation of different trainings, workshops and other activities in the area of addressing terrorism and related transnational criminal activities within a rule of law framework, including programs tailored to train correction officers and other justice sector stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be an integral part of a dynamic and multi-national team under the supervision of the IIJ’s Executive Secretary. Initial appointment will be made for a period of one year and may be extended subject to the availability of performance, need and funding. This position will be based in Malta with regular duty travel to the IIJ geographic region.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities The Program Manager shall be responsible for:
- Designing programs and delivering training courses and workshops tailored to train correction officers and other justice sector stakeholders with a focus on the IIJ geographic region;
- Planning and managing the organization, logistics, and implementation of trainings, workshops and other capacity building activities, and develop action plans and concrete results for the same;
- Monitoring budget implementation of programs, preparing detailed activity reports and financial reports;
- Preparing a variety of other written work, such as background working papers, correspondence, presentations, and program summaries;
- Contributing to the formulation of substantive funding proposals, consultations with grantor entities and international organizations;
- Monitoring and reporting on the implementation of funded activities, participating in the evaluation of the programs;
- Liaising with key partners, relevant stakeholders and engaging with international experts to ensure co-ordination of activities and enhancing the visibility of the IIJ;
- Representing the IIJ externally, e.g., at international conferences, meetings, workshops, and with foreign governments and international organizations;
- Performing other duties to support the mission of the IIJ as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master's Degree or equivalent) either in law, criminal justice, social or political sciences, or a related field.
- A minimum of six years of relevant progressively responsible experience in program management in an international organization, a legal training institute or with an organization that addresses legal issues, including two years of experience providing capacity building assistance for strengthening corrections systems in a transitional or post-conflict setting outside the applicant’s country of nationality is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English, with excellent drafting and communication skills; proficiency in French or Arabic an asset;
- Natural networker with highly tuned diplomatic skills, cultural sensitivity and discretion;
- Having an existing network of experts to call upon and ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders including national governments, international organizations, non- governmental organizations, donors, policy makers, practitioners and experts;
- Works to set goals, resolve problems in a timely manner, and make decisions that enhance an organization’s effectiveness;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Willingness to travel and represent the IIJ at international programs;
- Constructively managing internal and external relationships with diplomacy, cultural sensitivity and discretion;
- Understand diverse legal frameworks and contexts in place across the countries and regions that constitute the IIJ’s initial geographic focus, i.e., North, West, and East Africa, and the Middle East;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
Remuneration commensurate with prior experience and qualifications.
- Organization: IIJ - The International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law
- Location: Valletta
- Grade: Mid level
- Legal - International Law
- Education and Training
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-12-20