Head of Office / Programme Manager, Fluent in English and French, IICA3 (ICS11) - Readvertisement
Bangui | Bangui
1. General Background
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
2. Background Information – UNOPS CDOH
Located in Kinshasa, DRC the UNOPS Hub (CDOH) in Central Africa covers the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Central African Republic (CAR) and the Republic of Congo (RC) and its coverage is expanding further in the region. The office has developed a strong working relations with various international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments of Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management and sectoral advisory services; peace and security, environmental preservation and protection among others.
3. Background Information - Job-specific- Project CAR
The Security Council, by its resolution 2149 (2014), established the UN mission (MINUSCA) in CAR for an initial period until 30 April 2015 and decided that, as from 15 September 2014, MINUSCA would initially comprise up to 10,000 military personnel, including 240 military observers and 200 staff officers, 1,800 police personnel, including 1,400 formed police personnel and 400 individual police officers, and 20 corrections officers.
The Mission will be deployed in up to 45 locations in the Central African Republic, including a Mission headquarters in Bangui, three integrated sector headquarters (KagaBandoro, Bria and Bouar), five integrated field offices (Ndele, Bambari, Bossangoa, Bangassou and Berberati), three sub-offices (Paoua, Obo and Birao) and 31 additional locations with only a permanent military presence.
UNOPS is supporting MINUSCA in a number of areas, including with its DDR program where UNOPS provides services on registration of ex-combatants, food distribution and distribution of non-food items to ex-combatant beneficiaries in several locations in CAR. Other DDR services requested include support to community violence reduction (CVR) programs. In addition, UNOPS provides MINUSCA services relates to the construction and assembly of prefabricated camps across CAR.
Furthermore, UNOPS works with the World Bank and MINUSCA on a road rehabilitation project. And the UNOPS portfolio in CAR has grown significantly in 2016, due to growing partnership with other development actors.
4. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Head of Office/ Programme Manager (HoO) will have overall management responsibility for programme delivery throughout CAR, including UNOPS representational duties with MINUSCA, the UN Country Team and with other development partners at senior management level. The HoO will play a crucial role in the development and implementation of strategies and practices necessary to develop the CAR programme further for the implementation of projects while meeting and exceeding the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
Under the direct supervision of the CDOH Head of Programme (HoP) and overall supervision of the CDOH Hub Director, and in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices, the Head of Office/Programme Manager (HoO) will be accountable for the following duties:
Programme Development and Coordination
- Plan, develop, coordinate, communicate and direct the CAR portfolio and programme
- Coordinate, guide and assist Project Managers with planning, execution and delivery of projects, ensuring incorporation of best project management practices
- Oversee the delivery of existing project portfolio, monitoring delivery in terms of quality, costs and time; and of timely and accurate reporting
- Establish performance objectives with appropriate measures and timelines for all projects and project staff within CAR business unit
- Develop and Drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement, and performance optimization across all projects
- Advise the Hub HoP and Director on all matters concerning the delivery of projects and program development in the CAR business unit
- Develop and implement CAR programme’s governance framework, under the guidance of Hub HoP and Director
- Maintain overall integrity and coherence of the CAR programme, and develop and maintain the programme environment to support each individual project within it
Manage the performance of the programme team
Maximize the efficient allocation of resources and skills within the portfolio of projects and projects dossier
Analyze project results, and translate results into recommendations for management to assist with the development of the organization as the service provider of choice in CAR
Provide with the support of PMU timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting
Effectively and efficiently delegate responsibility and authority, and ensure accountability, to subordinate staff / PSOs for the delivery of agreed outputs
Prepare and submit for approval, revenue and expenditure forecasts based on established financial goals
Ensure clear communications and good relations are developed and maintained throughout the Programme and Project teams, with internal support departments in CDOH Kinshasa, and with external parties such as UN mission, donors, Government, sister agencies etc
Manage the performance of the programme team
Develop and drive the culture of excellence, continuous improvement, and performance optimization
Report progress of the programme at regular and sustained intervals to the CDOH Director and upon requests
Proactively monitor programme’s overall progress, manage and resolve risks and issues and initiate corrective action as needed and as appropriate
- Develop proposals and prepare project documents agreements in connection with identified opportunities and in cooperation/collaboration with partners
- Plan and propose to Operational Hub Director and HoP required resources (human, financial and administrative) to achieve goals
- Establish the strategies and implementation plans for the CAR portfolio in collaboration with the partners, set objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and partner oriented services
- Plan, recruit and develop a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity
- Promote teamwork and collaboration by providing timely guidance and supervision to the team to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed
Alliance building, networking and advocacy for business development
- Keep abreast of and assess the needs of the relevant national government and other UNOPS partners operating in the country, to identify and plan with them (and the Operational Hub Director and HoP) areas for leveraging UNOPS services/competencies in project service delivery and management that will facilitate their achievement of sustainable results
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNOPS competencies in project service delivery and management to develop opportunities and engagements with new partners
- Keep the Operational Hub Director and HoP informed/advised on opportunities and/or challenges to strengthen UNOPS capacity for portfolio management and business development
- In line with the strategy developed by the OC Director and working closely with Partnership Development Unit in Kinshasa, participate in drafting of concept notes and project document briefs for further discussion with clients and donors
- With guidance from the CDOH Head of Programme and Director, develop current and future growth plans for CAR, ensuring that those plans conform to the overall strategic plan of CDOH and the organization
- In conjunction with the CDOH Partnership Development unit, support business development opportunities in preparing and delivering appropriate proposals and partnerships
- Support the BD function/Partnership Development Unit by identifying and developing potential new business and customer opportunities and in coordination with project managers and teams in the field in CAR
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with MINUSCA, Donors, Government, sister UN agencies and clients of the CAR business Unit
- During the absence of the CDOH Director act as OIC as required, and participate at UNCT meetings and any other meetings with the government and donors, where applicable
- Participate and contribute proactively in PMT meetings;
Service delivery and quality assurance
- Establish and maintain appropriate arrangements for direct operational support for delivery of the portfolio, including leveraging regional or corporate support facilities whenever available
- Monitor and oversee program/project implementation, review progress, assess constraints and take corrective action, ensuring early warning of risks to Operational Hub for action and/or intervention
- Take responsibility for financial decisions/exercise financial control to ensure the fiscal health/sustainability of the portfolio, including submitting financial reports to the Operational Hub Director and HoP
Representation and inter-agency partnership
- Participate, as delegated by the Operational Hub Director, in inter-agency and external meetings/bodies to contribute to the harmonization of policies, practices and approaches within the UN System, including the implementation of the UNDAF/One Program, integrated Strategic Framework and ‘Delivering as One’
- Participate in UNCT, Security Management Teams (SMT), Operation Management Teams (OMT) and other interagency management groups to contribute to discussions and initiatives to strengthen coherence, inclusiveness, aid effectiveness and security measures
- Keep the UN Resident Coordinator informed of UNOPS activities within the country through regular communication and formal reporting on business acquisition and implementation of activities led by UNOPS as part of the UNDAF
Knowledge management and innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure UNOPS is continually incorporating best practice approaches in the delivery of regional portfolio
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building
Plan, implement and organize strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders**Technical Functions**
Research, identify, and introduce appropriate new technologies and systems for the delivery and execution of Projects; and
Plan, develop, implement and maintain appropriate standards, best practices and procedures to all CAR projects, particularly in infrastructure projects
Ultimately responsible for the delivering capabilities and relevant outcomes of CAR, meeting and exceeding Donor and client expectations
Communication Functions Actively participate in the CDOH Management Team
- Work in a collaborative manner with the CDOH Head of Support Services and Support Units
- Abides by all security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS
- Report to the Hub’s HoP and Director with regards all Programme related issues of CAR’s business plan
- Work closely with Partnership Development Unit on all business opportunities and portfolio development and with other department/units and all project site offices to improve continuously interface processes, reduce overlaps, reduce resource gaps and enhance coherence to facilitate seamless delivery of capabilities. And ensure a one CDOH UNOPS voice and communication with partners and project teams
5. Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in project management, public administration, engineering, social science or other relevant related field is required.
First level university degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) project management, public administration, engineering, social science or other relevant related field in combination with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in international development, business development, operations and/or program management in a large international and/or corporate organization
- Extensive experience in best practice implementation is an advantage
Substantial field based experience and demonstrated delivery of projects and programme in conflict and/or post conflict situations is an asset
Previous experience of United Nations Mission contexts is an advantage
Preferably PRINCE2 Practitioner and MSP Practitioner certified
Previous management experience within UNOPS a key advantage
6. Key Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNOPS.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Results-Orientation and Strategic Orientation
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modeling behavior
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept clearly and convincingly
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies
- Strong skills in programme and project management with proven competencies in related tools and methodologies
- Proven experience in the total financial management of large and diverse multi-discipline project portfolios
- Excellent financial and situational analytical skills and knowledge of analysis techniques;
- Strong contract formation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to grow an existing business, maintain existing client relationships and develop new ones
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to address senior management, business and technical audiences
- Fluency in both written and oral French and English required.
Qualified candidates may submit their application to : https://gprs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=11280
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangui | Bangui
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Development Cooperation
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-11-30