Communications Officer NOC Abuja
Abuja | Abuja
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill Communications Officer post at the NOC level, based in WFP Nigeria, Abuja Office. If you are a Nigerian national, committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for people in need, we would like to hear from you!
To develop, plan and implement communications activities that support the overall communications strategy and WFP objectives.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Develop, maintain and update an appropriate work plan for the assigned area, which implements the corporate communications strategy, in order to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, and support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with WFP strategy.
- Plan, manage and evaluate communications campaigns that favourably impact the views of the public, opinion leaders and donors in order to raise WFP’s profile and support fundraising activities.
- Prepare communications products that effectively convey the desired message to targeted audience(s).
- Maintain and develop a contact list of journalists and media outlets, and manage the regular flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, ensuring reputational risks are identified and managed.
- Define a social media plan for the assigned area which leverages social media content, platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
- Generate and/or facilitate the production of donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fundraising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Track and analyse traditional and online media, to identify trends and/or issues, and propose solutions and ideas to improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities.
- Manage junior communications officers/team, develop work plans, monitor performance against objectives, and ensure appropriate development to enable high performance.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely reporting on communications activities that enables informed decision-making, evaluation of objectives and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Build capacity of WFP staff on all aspects of external relations communication, providing advice, guidance and training to ensure consistent, quality communications activities that deliver the desired impact.
- Work in close collaboration with counterparts to align activities and ensure a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of communications specific risks.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
· At least five years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience as a journalist or communications/public information officer, including minimum of 1 year of international experience;
· Development of information strategies and programmes;
· Experience of managing small teams of staff with related areas of expertise.
Fluency (level C) in English language. Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri local languages is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit International Civil Service Commision website: http://icsc.un.org
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills. WFP will only consider academic credentials and degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list. Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply to become a part of our organization. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on "View Vacancy" to read the position requirements and "Apply" to submit your application.
NOTE: Applicants will have to register and create on-line CVs to be able to apply. Hard copies of CVs or applications through e-mails will not be accepted. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information.
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Abuja | Abuja
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-02