Consultancy - Data Base Experts
Somaliland | Mogadishu
TOR for the Data Base Expert
PROJECT: A-03450: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY BUILDING AND STRENGTHENING funded by European Commission.
Consultancy: Two (2) Experts: one (1) based in Puntland and one (1) based in Somaliland.
Development of a database on the licensing system enabling the monitoring, the verification and the management of the licences issued by both Ministries of Fisheries and Marine Resources in Puntland and Somaliland.
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland and Bosaso, Puntland
The public and private sector institutional capacity building and strengthening project (PPICBS) is a three year programme funded by the European Union and will run from 2014 to 2017. The program seeks to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources and the private sector to maximise and manage marine resources.
The overall objective of the action is ‘to contribute to improving livelihoods, food security and nutrition of the Artisanal Fisheries population in Somaliland and Puntland over 3 years through effectively functioning public and private fishery and coastal management sectors’. While the specific objective of the action is to strengthen the capacity of the Ministries of Fisheries and Marine Resources in Somaliland and Puntland and private sector to maximize and manage marine resources and environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The scope of the assignment is to support the implementation of the PPICBS project activities which is to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministries of Fisheries and Marine Resources to manage effectively marine resources and the coastal environment.
The consultant will work with other implementing staff to support the development of a licensing system and establish an accessible market information sharing network. The consultants will work with the Ministry staff to establish online database and for easy monitoring of information, verification and management of licenses. The consultants will provide training to the ministry staff to implement a counterfeit license prototype and manage the information of the fisheries in Somaliland and Puntland. This is to ensure an effective licensing data management system for better storage and monitoring of all fishery information by fishery staff and sharing with stakeholders for sustainable management of the fisheries in Somaliland and Puntland.
- Consultative strategic discussions with the Ministry of Fishery and Marine Resources staff and other stakeholders to identify best options of establishing data base system for the Ministries.
- Develop online database that can monitor, verify, and manage licensed fishermen/ associations. This is to allow for the ministry to use for information and licensing.
- Train and the key staff of the Ministry in order to create ownership and on how to use the new data base and establish sustainability mechanisms.
- Established and fully functional database to support the licensing system in both Somaliland and Puntland.
- Staff of the two ministries trained and have competency required to operate the online database. Training modules and report will support this deliverable.
- A training manual for the Ministry explaining how to operate the online database.
Required Skills and Experience
A degree in any of these disciplines Information Technology, MBA with IT, Project management, Computer science, or at least related to the assignment.
Duty station: One expert will cover Somaliland and be based in Hargeisa and attached to the Ministry of Fisheries in Somaliland, while the other one will be based in Bosaso and attached to Ministry of Fishery in Puntland.
Oxfam’s Project Manager will provide broad oversight to the consultancy while the project manager is responsible for the project and will manage the contract and coordinate the assignment and is the immediate contact point for the consultant.
The duration of the assignment will be determined by the consultant based on the expected deliverables.
OXFAM is seeking seasoned consultants to undertake tasks mentioned above. The consultant must have carried our similar tasks in the past and demonstrated acceptable competencies.
An in-depth knowledge and experience of establishing data base systems and designing websites
The consultant should have worked for international organisations and UN agencies and can proof successful completion of tasks
Previous experience and knowledge on development of a counterfeit proof trade licensing system.
Proven ability to translate technical needs into database specifications and to develop a fully functional and user friendly database application
Knowledge of Somaliland and Puntland institutional and local context is an asset
To be discussed with the prospective consultant.
Expression of Interest
These is for Somali nationals only (Somaliland and Puntland) and if you are interested in carrying out this data base establishment and web designing, please send the following:
- Cover Letter
- References of previous work
- Technical proposal (3 pages maximum) including the methodology proposed and an indicative work plan
- Comprehensive financial proposal with a detailed budget necessary to the completion of the tasks in the indicate time-frame.
The closing date for Applications is 5th December, 2016.
To apply for the above consultancy, please send your application to email@example.com
- Organization: Oxfam GB
- Location: Somaliland | Mogadishu
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-05