Kigali | Kigali
VOLUNTEER POSITION TITLE: HR Volunteer
COUNTRY PROGRAM: Rwanda
REPORTS TO: Country Director
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: 3 months, with possibility to extend
START DATE: January 2016
END DATE: April 2016
NUMBER OF HOURS/WEEK: Full-time
American Refugee Committee (ARC) has been operating in Rwanda since the aftermath of the Genocide in 1994-95 and is currently working in 6 refugee camps hosting refugees from Congo (DRC) as well as refugees from Burundi. The overall goal of ARC’s program in Rwanda is to build self resilience and self reliance of communities affected by displacement. ARC’s program includes the provision of basic services (adequate health care and nutrition, shelter, water, sanitation & hygiene, HIV/AIDS prevention & treatment) and enabling economic recovery through the livelihood and economic recovery program. ARC Rwanda is furthermore active in the sector of environmental management aimed at mitigating environmental degradation.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT:
The HR Volunteer will be based in Kigali and will oversee the human resources activities for the ARC Rwanda program. This position will report directly to the Country Director and will receive technical support and guidance from the headquarters HR department. This is a temporary assignment to backfill for the current Rwanda HR Manager’s three-month leave.
ARC will provide round-trip transportation, housing, and a monthly stipend for food and miscellaneous expenses. Volunteer must provide their own health insurance.
- Support the recruitment and lead the orientation for the incoming HR Officer
- Coordinate hiring process for national staff including advertising, collection of applications and shortlisting as required.
- Conducts interviews, tests, and selects employees to fill vacant positions in coordination with hiring managers.
- Coordinate and conduct new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward ARC standards and objectives.
- Monitor and coordinate staff contract management at the field level.
- Assure up to date human resources files kept for all staff
- Ensure that all HR forms are accurately completed by newly hired staff.
- Support the finalization and roll-out of performance management system and staff development plans
- Support the exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employee
- Coordinate with line managers to perform staff appraisals at the field site and facilitate confirmations of probationary periods.
- Administer benefits programs such as medical insurance, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and other related benefits.
- Work with the Senior Management Team to maintain and monitor effective administrative and human resource systems to support all program sector activities while assuring accountability and transparency.
- Support the updating of Rwanda HR policies to align with ARC operational requirements and Rwanda labor law
- All other backstopping duties necessary as directed by the Country Director
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience working in an HR department with familiarity in a variety of HR functions
- Good understanding of international human resource policies and procedures.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in French strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success in supporting senior management and building relationships.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must be able represent ARC Rwanda in a highly professional manner.
- Prior experience working in Africa desirable.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work and live with multi-national staff
- Computer knowledge including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point.
- Organization: ARC - American Refugee commitee
- Location: Kigali | Kigali
- Grade: Junior
- Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2016-12-02