Bid Developer (INT2995)
Oxford | London
Oxfam has adopted an ambitious new resource mobilisation strategy to grow and diversify its income, while also building new strategic donor partnerships to 2020. To help achieve its vision, Oxfam is currently seeking to enhance its existing team of specialists within the Programme Funding Department who lead on the development of major bid submissions to grants and tenders at a national, regional and international level.
The role will sit within the Programme Funding Department and will be responsible for leading responses to grants and commercially tendered bids that are complex, high-value, global and/or country funded. They will be responsible for analysing and managing opportunities from start to finish, supporting Oxfam programme staff develop effective bid winning strategies.
Specifically, they will be expected to have and be able to apply a broad range of commercial bid knowledge and, having experience in both grants and tenders, be able to demonstrate familiarity with a range of donor agency clients and funding mechanisms. In particular, they should possess a strong track record of successfully developing effective, cost-complete and commercially priced, multi-million pound proposals to DFID, the EU, the UN, as well as various IFIs.
Based in Oxford, the successful candidate will be expected to work across Oxfam GB, to collaborate across the confederation of OI affiliates, and to work with a range of other stakeholder partnerships. Some travel may be required outside of the UK equivalent to approximately 12-18 weeks per annum in order to support country programmes in competitive bidding processes.
Key Responsibilities will include but be limited to**:**
- Provides effective bid project management and leadership for high-risk, multi-country, or large complex opportunities to institutional donors
- Works within a wider bid development team to deliver successful proposals according to donor requirements and Oxfam standards
- Leads on developing pricing strategies for complex, multi million pound grant and tender opportunities
- Ownership of developing complex, robust, costing models for grant and tender opportunities for use by Oxfam and its partners
- Supports programme staff in analysing and developing new opportunities
- Actively tracks, identifies and stimulates new business opportunities and partnership opportunities
- Provides technical assistance, support and advice to staff working at country, regional, head office, and affiliate levels on bid development, including cost/pricing strategies and basic bid-cycle management.
- Serves as an organisational resource on competitive, specialised, and complex grant & tendering processes with institutional donors (a particular focus on robust financial modelling)
- Leads complex bids and proposals with potentially significant financial and reputational impact for Oxfam and its partners
- Advises on competitor bid positions and price strategies, coordinating directly with Prime, Subcontractor or other teammates in support of consortia bid effort
- Reviews and monitors bid / proposal progress to agreed schedules, resolving key issues and liaising with bid team members and other key stakeholders throughout
- Researches cost proposal elements used in the development of grant and tender proposals - determining optimal price points for bids and conduct price-to-win analysis
- Assumes ownership of cost models and pricing deliverables across a range of assigned bids
- Influences and negotiate with a wide range of people both internally and externally
- Reviews all cost & pricing data submitted by staff and external entities for value, accuracy, completeness, and consistency
- Collaborates with bid teams from across different parts of the organisation, including programmes, finance, human resources, logistics, international office network and funding
- Works across the global programme funding function to ensure coherence, consistency and quality in fundraising efforts and results
Skills and Competence:
- Strong financial, commercial and business negotiation skills (Essential)
- Significant bid leadership experience at senior levels across commercial tenders and grants (Essential)
- Significant cost/pricing experience in both commercial tender and grant context (Essential)
- Proven ability to identify new business opportunities and partnerships (Essential)
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, with ability to analyse and synthesise complex issues (Essential)
- Demonstrated ability, tact, and sensitivity in working across institutional boundaries, business units, and teams (some remotely) in an effective and productive way (Essential)
- Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual, and multidisciplinary environment (Essential)
- Experience in working with technical advisors to design development / humanitarian programmes responding to competitive tenders from government departments, executive agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral agencies, or private sector companies (Desirable)
- Exposure to international business development, ideally in the developing world (Desirable)
- Familiarity with rules and regulations of public sector procurement (Desirable)
- Minimum qualifications: Degree or equivalent in International Development, Business Administration or related subject;
- Minimum experience: Min 8 yrs relevant professional experience in international development, preferably within a leading International Development consultancy or NGO developmental sector;
- Additional professional qualifications: Valid relevant membership and professional accreditations in proposal management, Management Accountancy, or commercial business skills will be considered an advantage;
This is a re-advertisement and so applicants who have already applied for the role do not need to resubmit their application.
- Organization: Oxfam GB
- Location: Oxford | London
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-12