Decision and Policy Analysis Coordinator
Cali | Bogotá
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (www.ciat.cgiar.org) works to reduce hunger and poverty, and improve human nutrition in the tropics through research aimed at increasing the eco-efficiency of agriculture. CIAT is a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org), a global partnership that unites organizations engaged in research for a food secure future. Headquartered near Cali, Colombia, CIAT has regional offices in Managua, Nairobi, Kenya, and Hanoi, Vietnam, with staff posted in other developing countries as well.
Decision and Policy Analysis is a Research Area in the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) with the goal of contributing to improved global decision making through the provision of novel and accurate information about agricultural systems and associated natural resources from the farm- to the continental- level; and to influence key governmental, non-governmental and private organizations to ensure that the rural poor benefit from public and private sector policies. It is a highly dynamic and multi-disciplinary program working on four major pillars of research, impact assessment, climate change, ecosystem services and linking farmers to market. For more information on DAPA, see http://dapa.ciat.cgiar.org/
We are seeking a Coordinator to provide close support to the research area director and other DAPA scientists to create an environment conducive to excellence in science and development.
- Generate an enabling environment for excellence in science, relevance in development amongst the team in DAPA
- Provide support to the DAPA leader in the day to day management of a 150 person team focusing on policy, agriculture and environment research
- Provide leadership in enabling internal communications for the DAPA program through information sharing meetings and intranet systems for managing project information
- Manage a core group of support staff to provide research backstopping to DAPA scientists
- Oversee processes for proposal and project development in close collaboration with the fundraising office to ensure quality delivery to donors
- Develop a collegial, fun and productive environment within the area which is conducive to generating high quality, creative research
- Represent DAPA in internal and external meetings
Education and Experience
- Master degree in business administration, international development, public administration or related field
- At least 3 years of experience working in a dynamic development or research environment
- Full English oral and written capabilities.
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
- The DAPA coordinator should be someone with interest in managing research and management processes rather than engage in the science itself.
- The candidate should be very capable of managing professional relationships, and working in a complex, intercultural and highly dynamic working environment.
- Candidates should be pragmatic in finding solutions, and demonstrate initiative in establishing systems and processes to enable the effective management of the research area.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvements in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and be committed to staff development.
Terms of employment
This internationally recruited position will be based at CIAT Headquarters in Palmira, Colombia, reporting directly to the Area Research Director. The initial contract will be for up to two (2) years, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality. Candidates from Nicaragua are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the CIAT Human Resources Office to Andrea Linares (email@example.com ) and should clearly indicate “DAPA Coordinator”.
- Organization: CIAT - International Center for Tropical Agriculture
- Location: Cali | Bogotá
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2016-12-12