Executive Communications Manager
Tigard Oregon | Washington D.C
This position manages strategic executive communications as a primary method for building the profile and reputation of Medical Teams International as a leader in the global health field. The role is accountable for an integrated and shared communications strategy and messaging for brand support and reputation-building around MTI’s global health programs, including leveraging evidence, knowledge management, and MTI best practice in global health programing. The role is responsible for external audience engagement activities aimed at public affairs audiences: policy-makers, key influencers, academia, peer NGOs, consortia, multi-lateral and bi-lateral institutional grant agencies and foundations, donors and supporters. Accountabilities include ensuring consistency of external communication strategies, messaging, and planning, as well as implementation and engagement with internal audiences. Execution will include media and social media among other channels. This role contributes to a shared understanding and articulation of identity, vision and strategic direction, working closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure messaging alignment and coordinated execution across the organization.
- Development of a strategy and messaging for global health communications and execution of it across multiple channels, increasing share of voice and improved reputation in the global health sector
- Develop, maintain and execute a strategic communications plan across departments and field organizations, leveraging a vibrant and effective network of communicators and communications products related to global health.
- Coordinate with the Marketing and Communications team and the Programs department to ensure best resources are developed and to develop strong spokespeople, building their communications capacity and messages for target audiences (mass, major donor, corporations, foundations, and institutional donors), resulting in MTI “experts” cited in publications and active in social media in the right networks with increased brand awareness of MTI linked to our work in the global health sector.
- Develop resources, events, conferences and reports for use at key global moments for health (eg post 2015, WHA, World AIDS Day, World Food Day, Water Day. etc.), publishing effective, evidence-based resources, reports, media materials etc.
- Coordination with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure maximum lift for MTI’s global health messaging in all channels and coordination of timing and priorities, resulting in global health messages integrated appropriately in all communication channels.
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager to create and execute a social media plan for the Executive Office.
- Create templates for CEO’s communications with an eye to brand consistency and professional presentation, including but not limited to PowerPoint, internal documents, informational packets for donors and prospective employees, and internal and external correspondence.
- Maintain calendar of all Executive Office communication opportunities and material creation to ensure meeting deadlines.
- Create and own MTI’s internal communications framework that encompasses all standard communications rhythms above the departmental level.
- Orchestrate consistent and high quality execution of the communications framework across the Office of the CEO and all MTI departments.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion.
- Report on a dotted-line basis to the Director of Marketing and Communications. Provide input into the broader set of marketing priorities, strategies and execution plans, ensuring strategic communications and messaging alignment across the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, international affairs, journalism, communications, public relations, marketing or
- A bachelor’s degree with equivalent level of hands-on experience.
- Understanding of both corporate and communications strategy; ability to develop strategic plans, guide other leaders in developing sub-strategies and outline the resources required to implement them.
- Understanding of global and public health issues and exposure to these sectors.
- 5+ years in leadership positions in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing or a related field. Good working knowledge of all major online and traditional media and social media channels.
- Previous experience in an international organization, preferably in the non-governmental sector.
- Wide-ranging leadership skills
- High level of quality and customer service
- Gets projects going and moving when they are stuck
- Facilitates appropriate information flow amongst staff
- Builds coalitions to support change initiatives
- Champions the innovations of others
- Inspires high levels of team performance
- Inspires open and trusting networks of relationships
- Commitment to Medical Teams International mission statement.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; flexible.
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule and weekends occasionally.
- Excellent attention to detail and overall brand awareness.
- Aptitude for organizing tasks, managing time and prioritizing projects.
- High standards regarding accuracy and attention to detail.
- High levels of integrity, discretion, judgment, initiative and motivation.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Ensures personal verbal communication is clear and convincing
- Expresses self clearly in all forms of writing
- Communicates persuasively to all stakeholders
- Commitment to positive relationships with staff, volunteers, vendors, program partners and donors.
- Must have the ability to consistently communicate professionally and effectively with all constituents.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A deep knowledge and understanding of the role of FBOs and NGOs in advocacy and international development, familiarity with the issues of international development, poverty reduction and global politics.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; able to win the confidence of a broad range of different stakeholders from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Creative and contemporary communicator who is able to use language, technology and new social media tools to raise awareness of target audiences to our global health work and results.
- Catalytic influencer who is able to convince other communicators to work on their behalf, recognizing that the organization needs to develop multiple communicators in order to harness the collective energies of others to amplify the messages.
Must be eligible to work in the United States and possess a current visa.
To learn more about this position and to apply please visit our website at https://www4.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/northwestmedicalteams/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=J...
- Organization: MTI - Medical Teams International
- Location: Tigard Oregon | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-12-15