The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the overall supervision of the Legal Aid Team Leader, the legal interpreter will provide interpretation services, from Arabic to English or Greek, and Arabic to English or Greek. The interpreter will facilitate the implementation of DRC’s legal assistance programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Provide precise simultaneous interpretation for group legal information sessions as well as for one-on-one individual legal counseling and individual legal case management for the DRC roving legal team across refugee sites in Northern or Central Greece;
- Occasionally provide written translation when required;
- Other tasks as required by Legal Protection Officer to support the implementation of DRC’s legal assistance programme activities.
- University degree is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written English or Greek and Farsi/Dari or Arabic skills are required; all candidates will undergo a language test with a native speaker
- Previous work experience as an interpreter with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Computer skills preferred
- High professional ethics, including strict confidentiality of clients
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Willingness to work in all refugee sites/camps where the legal team operates
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Licensed driver preferred
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Terms and Conditions
This position is requested for indeterminate time based on performance, DRC requirements and availability of funds.
We offer a fair compensation package depending on your qualification and experiences. DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in the Thessaloniki with roving possibilities among the sites of Northern Greece and national terms and conditions apply.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 6th of December.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Thessaloníki
- Grade: USG, Under-Secretary-General
- Closing Date: 2016-12-06