Marine Spatial Analyst
Specifically, Project REGENERATE – Reef Generate Environmental and Economic Resilience for Atoll Ecosystems - has been developed to showcase and address coral reef issues in the Maldives. The overall aims of this project are to:
• Improve access to science and technology for decision-making and establishing policy framework for increasing resilience to climate change.
• Increase Stakeholder capacity to measure and monitor and adapt to climate stresses through education, training, and outreach.
• Strengthen governance in support of decentralised management for more resilient ecosystems
• Establish sustainable financing mechanisms to support climate resilient marine management.
1. Acting as the focal point for all GIS initiatives and coordinate with partners of Project REGENERATE and external partners.
2. Managing and overseeing technical assistance to establish conservation priority areas for the Government of Maldives.
3. Obtaining and managing necessary GIS resources.
4. Facilitating necessary user training from outside IUCN.
5. Hiring or recommending the hiring of GIS staff and related personnel.
6. Conduct training for GIS staff and interns for GIS related work.
7. Supervising, monitoring and evaluating the work of GIS staff.
8. Coordinating GIS-related activities with other personnel of IUCN.
9. Assisting and guiding policy-making regarding GIS matters.
10. Recommending and where appropriate developing GIS and related training programmes.
11. Coordinating the acquisition of new spatial data and supervising the integration of these data into GIS formats.
12. Developing, maintaining and updating spatially explicit datasets.
13. Developing spatial analysis methodologies to analyse Public Participation GIS datasets.
14. Evaluate and report on global datasets to support effective management plans.
15. Performing spatial analysis and creating information products from the GIS and related software.
16. Providing support for cartographic design and high quality map production for Project REGENERATE purposes.
17. Providing technical and project management support to the Acting CTO when and where necessary.
18. Providing technical support in writing and reviewing policy documents as requested by the Acting CTO.
19. Evaluate, diagnose and troubleshoot overall operations of computing and information technology functions and recommend enhancements for IUCN.
20. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges.
IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with more than 1,200 government and NGO members and almost 11,000 volunteer experts in some 160 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by over 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.
- Organization: IUCN - International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Location: Male'
- Grade: P-1, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-12-31