Head of delegation – Dohuk – IRAQI KURDISTAN – H/F
Dohuk | Iraq
Context of the position
The mission of the French Red Cross is to prevent and alleviate all human suffering, and contribute to all efforts related to protection, social welfare, prevention, education and health care.
The French Red Cross is operational in Northern Iraq since 2013, especially in Dohuk, Ninewah and Erbil governorates. FRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including WASH, Livelihoods, Shelter and Relief. The Iraq programme presently employs about 60 national staff and 6 international staff.
The French Red Cross works in partnership with the local branches of the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS).
The HoD works under the responsibility of the Desk officer for Middle-East based in Beirut, Lebanon.
The HoD is the line manager of 5 staff (logistics coordinator, finance coordinator, WASH Technical Advisor, Livelihoods Coordinator, Relief Delegate).
Works externally with : Iraqi Red Crescent Society (HQ and branches), components of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement (IRCR / IFRC / Partner National Societies in the country), local authorities, others humanitarian actors in the field.
Under the supervision of the Middle-East regional representative (Desk) based in Lebanon, the head of delegation will be in charge of the FRC teams and actions, specifically:
A- Program coordination:
- Lead the implementation of current projects
- Oversee the follow-up on submitted proposals and liaise with donors
- Identify the potential for new projects/ field of intervention
- Ensure coordination with partners (UN, local authorities, other humanitarian partners on the ground).
B- Management of resources:
- Supervise human resources, finance, budgetary and technical resources
- Ensure smooth coordination between the operational and support teams
C- Communication management:
- Represent FRC to Iraqi Red Crescent Society, other components of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, to local authorities (especially DMC) and other humanitarian actors in the field, to donors meetings
- Responsible for donors’ reporting (monthly and annual reports)
- Manage internal and external communication.
D- Security management:
- Update security strategies and safety plans in coordination with relevant actors.
- Ensure that all staff, are briefed on the security situation and instructions to follow.
- Monitor the security situation, make decisions on security issues and ensure appropriate actions in link with the logistician and the headquarters in case of evacuation.
Profile of the candidate
Educational background and experiences:
- Graduate or post-graduate degree in relevant field
- Experience at a similar position for at least 2 years
- Experience in NGO mandatory, preferably in emergency and post-emergency contexts
- Experience in team management
- Previous experience with RC & RC Movement is an asset.
- Strong communication, analysis and reporting skills
- Management qualities
- Substantial experience of strategic thinking leading to the development of action plans
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project planning and budget holding, proposal and report writing
- Ability of raising the profile of an organization, strategically networking with government agencies, donors and other international agencies, and using the media as appropriate
- Ability to work under high pressure with a great level of personal organization skills
- English mandatory (oral and written)
- Arabic would be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Flexible and proactive.
- Good relationship, patience.
- Autonomous and team-worker.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all, that constitute a real advantage for your application:
WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is intended for all: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world.
Stay Safe is intended for every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact.
You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
Candidates interested should apply directly via FRC website:
- Organization: Red Cross - France
- Location: Dohuk | Iraq
- Grade: Junior
- Disaster Management
- Closing Date: 2016-12-19