Traineeship for Law and Policy Outreach
Law and Policy Forum - (DP_FORUM)
Purpose of the post:
The Law and Policy Forum (DP_FORUM) brings together ICRC's various training and dissemination capacities in humanitarian law, policy and action, with a view to promote IHL and other relevant norms, and to influence key actors and decision-makers on humanitarian issues of importance to the organization. Through its different components (academic relations and research, the International Review of the Red Cross, online and onsite legal training, the Visitors & Conference centre, events & outreach), FORUM acts as a channel between the ICRC and the outside world. It carries out direct outreach activities to key external audiences, following a thematic approach and pursuing academic excellence.
The Law and Policy Forum is offering a one-year paid traineeship entailing the following tasks: strategic communications, web editing and publishing, contact and information management. The post holder will work under the supervision of the Law and Policy Digital Editor, collaborating closely with other sectors within and beyond DP_FORUM.
- In collaboration with the Law and Policy Digital Editor, support and implement the Law & Policy Digital Outreach Strategy, in particular:
- Devise and implement communications strategies for DP_FORUM activities, and more generally those of the Department of International Law and Policy;
- Elaborate social media promotion plans and liaise with the Digital Communications unit to promote DP_FORUM's tools and events through ICRC media channels;
- Develop and execute conversion optimization strategies using web analytics, search engine optimization (SEO) and other optimization techniques, with a view to enhancing user experience and increasing ICRC's Law & Policy outreach and audience base;
- Maintain, strengthen and expand the network of contacts among specialized audiences (e.g. humanitarians, lawyers, academics and diplomats).
- Analyze and map DP_FORUM's audience in order to be able to engage efficiently with specific target groups.
- Maintain and expand DP_FORUM's outreach tools and web presence:
- Mass mailing: Gather content, edit and send out mass mailings such as the Law & Policy newsletter; ensure their efficient dissemination using Customer Relations Management (CMS).
- Law & Policy Web Platform: Ensure regular updates of the web platform by creating, editing and publishing content;
- Humanitarian Law & Policy blog: Ensure the efficient dissemination of blog content, build the blog's audience and stimulate engagement.
- Regularly update the unit's CMS and mass mailing tools
- In collaboration with the Outreach Advisor, support the 2017 thematic focus on 'War in Cities', as well as other ad hoc events and tools:
- Enhance the visibility of the conference cycle by developing an external and internal communications strategy;
- Support the production of content derived from the events (e.g. written reports, interviews with experts, video summaries, photo galleries);
- Plan and enact promotional campaigns for War in Cities content and other ad hoc activities, in close collaboration with other ICRC units and partner institutions.
Education and experience required:
- Advanced university degree in Communications, Journalism or another relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in media and communications, including in content management systems, digital marketing and contact management
- Previous experience in web design, layout and video editing an advantage
- Previous academic training or professional experience in international law, humanitarian and/or international affairs an advantage
Profile and skills:
- Keen interest in humanitarian action, communications and technologies
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and work in a multicultural environment
- Sense of initiative and ability to work autonomously
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong writing skills and fluency in English and French
Length of assignment: One year
Starting date: 16 January 2017
Deadline: 25 November 2016
Interested candidates fulfilling the above criteria should send a letter of motivation and CV/Resume to Véronique Soguel (email@example.com) by 25 November 2016 (Subject: Traineeship – Law & Policy Outreach 2017). Please note that this is a Geneva-based internship and that no housing allowance will be granted. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. At a further stage, selected candidates will be contacted for interviews at ICRC headquarters or through online conference calls (depending on availability).
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: USG, Under-Secretary-General
- Closing Date: 2017-02-01