Head of Office - Maiduguri, Nigeria
Maiduguri | Abuja
Head of Office - Maiduguri, Nigeria
PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps has worked in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps initiated humanitarian programming in 2014 to support the conflict-affected population. As a result of the wide-scale needs in 2016, Mercy Corps is scaling-up its humanitarian response to address emergency priorities including food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, water sanitation, while preparing to address early recovery needs for displaced households and vulnerable host communities. The largest portion of this response is focused on cash transfer programming.
With funding from humanitarian donors including the European Commission (ECHO) and US Agency for International Development’s Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance and Food for Peace, Mercy Corps’ humanitarian program provides direct assistance while building capacity of humanitarian response actors. In addition, it anticipates expanding programming in North East Nigeria, building on concurrent programs to establish a dynamic multi-sector platform.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Head of Office provides general management and leadership for all program support functions at the field level for the humanitarian portfolio including operations, finance and security. The Head of Office proactively and informatively communicates and coordinates the program support functions with Mercy Corps staff in state office in Maiduguri ( Borno State) and other field locations ( to be confirmed) in Borno state and Abuja country office. S/he will be responsible for all aspects of operations: procurement, logistics, administration, human resources, and security.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Strategy and Vision
· Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
· Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
· Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
· Oversee the smooth flow of routine program support functions (e.g., finance, administration, logistics) of the Mercy Corps state office and potentially field offices and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
· Oversee management, supervision and training of all aspects of finance and operations ( procurement, administration, HR, security, logistics) in the state and field offices.
· Ensure that procurement is completed, documented, and delivered to end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet the specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines.
· Ensure all aspects of asset management including maintenance of asset register and investigation of missing assets.
· Supervise the management and maintenance of vehicle fleet, office facilities, and equipment, including power supply and internet.
· Oversee database and paper file management for finance and operations; ensure files are complete and in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
· Coordinate with Mercy Corps’ Abuja and HQ offices on travel and logistics support as required.
· Support program start-up through the administration of support teams across various field locations.
· Create and maintain operations systems to ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
· Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
· Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
· Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
· Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
· Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency operations.
· With the supplier and local government on operational issues as required.
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
· Develop and maintain the security management plans for the area of operation.
· Follow up any developments/changes in regards to the security situation.
· Ensure adequate security coordination with other humanitarian actors in the areas.
· Liaise with the Team Leader and Director of Humanitarian Programs on any degradation in security situation.
· As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
· Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: State & field operations staff, field security staff.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Team Leader, Maiduguri
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Field Program staff
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· A Bsc or Master’s Degree in relevant field.
· At least 3-5 years of relevant project management experience.
· Sound understanding procurement, administration, and logistics management systems. Basic understanding of financial systems.
· Experience in security management in conflict areas;
· Commitment to local capacity building and team coordination.
· Experience working with host governments and INGOs; familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of UN agencies, and other NGOs.
· Good organizational and management skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
· Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and lead a diverse group of national and international staff.
· Must be able to strategically advise staff on program and office activities and security issues.
· Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
· Fluent English; Hausa a plus.
The successful The Head of Office will have proven experience working effectively in emergency contexts. S/he will have strong leadership qualities and will have demonstrated previous experience in building team commitment toward the achievements of program objectives. It will be essential to have experience in setting up systems and procedures in difficult environments, as well as good understanding on what makes systems and procedures work. Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills are critical as are an ability to work in remote environments, an awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international humanitarian work and ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skill sets and working styles. S/he must have an ability to creatively problem-solve, to juggle multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected and sudden events impacting program operations with patience, tenacity, and a good sense of humor.
The position will be initially based in Maiduguri, Borno state and it requires frequent travel (60%) between field locations in northeast Nigeria and Abuja country office. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in the guesthouse where available and hotels. Security in the field locations requires additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in north east is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
The location is eligible for hardship and R&R benefits. Given the nature of the humanitarian response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Maiduguri | Abuja
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2016-12-08