International Consultant: Gender and Statistics Expert
Duration: 75 days
Duty Station: Islamabad, Lahore, Pakistan* (* Currently, Islamabad/ Pakistan is a non-family duty station)
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)-Pakistan Country Office is looking for a professional with substantive Gender and Statistics Experience.
Introduction to assignment:
Gender statistics are central to policy making and in identifying the specific needs of women and men and in designing the right policies to ensure the advancement of gender equality and women’s empowerment. In Pakistan, UNFPA is currently working with the Punjab Commission on the Status Women (PCSW) and Punjab Bureau of Statistics (BoS) to conduct studies and surveys on the social and economic wellbeing of women in the province and to support setting systems and benchmarks for generating data on gender-related SDG indicators. The project is funded by DFID and supported by other UN Agencies.
In line with the development priorities of the Government of Punjab and the Provincial Commission on the Status of Women, women’s economic and social wellbeing is a key area of work. This has also been highlighted in the recent Gender Parity Report of the PCSW that acknowledged the progress made so far, especially in education and health, but also noted the gaps that remain.
In order to effectively formulate policy and program recommendations to support interventions that promote women’s wellbeing in the economic and social spheres, a key identified need is to collect data not currently available from existing surveys and other data sources. The proposed project aims to fill data gaps and establish a baseline for key gender indicators of the Sustainable Development Goals, especially SDG 5 and SDG 8.
UNFPA supported PCSW and BoS in formulating together a Project which will support PCSW in filling the data gaps from a gender lens. The project with its two components thus is very timely and will complement Punjab Government efforts towards achieving Punjab Growth Strategy Goals and at the same time provide relevant information for identifying areas of interventions to achieve and subsequently monitor SDGs especially Goals 5 and 8. It will provide information about the barriers in the way of women’s full participation in mainstream economic activities; identify regional variations in access to resources, skill deficits, availability of support services and levels of awareness by age and location. A special feature of the Survey is inclusion of clusters of non-Muslim women and women with disabilities. The data generated will enable formulation of evidence based policies and programmes and other needed interventions.
One of the major aspects of the project is to conduct a district level survey in the province of Punjab along with a smaller survey in 8 districts. With this context, the country office is seeking the services of a consultant to strengthen the survey design and analysis from a gender lens to support PCSW and Bureau of Statistics in making sure that survey design, instruments, data collection, entry and analysis is of the comparable international standards and covers different gender dimensions
Objectives of the Consultancy:
Overall the consultant is expected to guide PCSW and Punjab Bureau of Statistics in the process of designing the survey design, tools development, data collection and analysis of the data from a gender lens. It is expected that the consultant will ensure that the survey design, instruments, data collection, entry and analysis are in line with international standards.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical input for the designing of the provincial house hold survey; including, methodology, indicators of survey, review the sample size and the methodology for listing of households.
- Provide input for the designing of the questionnaires, review pretesting feedback and revision of tools if necessary.
- Also provide input for 3 additional small purposive samples/modules
- Guide the process of the selection of sample methodology for three additional modules of 3 populations groups 1. Minority women 2. Women with disabilities 3, men perceptions on women’s economic and social wellbeing (can be provincial level)
- Guide Representative sample of women in private sector employment in 8 large cities of Punjab where such employment is located.
- Support in designing survey tools for private sector employers in the 8 large cities that employ or are potential employers of women
- Provide input for the training manuals to be used by Punjab BoS.
- Support the process of identification of indicators set on economic and social empowerment for women and aligning with country priorities and SDGs.
- Values: Exemplifying integrity, demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system, embracing diversity and embracing change
- Core Competencies: Achieving results, being accountable, developing and applying professional expertise. Thinking analytically and strategically, working in teams and managing self and relationships
- Managerial competencies: Creating a culture of performance, making decisions and exercising judgement.
- Advanced university degree in Gender Studies or other social sciences disciplines with special focus on statistics, monitoring and evaluation and survey/research design and implementation and policy.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience, with a strong experience in the field of gender and statistics. Should have gender expertise as well as expertise in designing tools on women's economic empowerment, social empowerment and VAW. Applying statistical theory and techniques to design, plan and manage data collection and processing efforts for large scale surveys and/or professional experience and record of accomplishment in research and statistical data analysis.
- Experience of developing gender indicators and generating gender statistics
- Experience in conducting data analysis like Household Living Standard Survey, Labour Force Surveys etc.
- Substantive expertise in designing surveys methodology, tools development and qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Expert in sample design and methodology, questionnaire design, / tools/ training manual needed.
- Excellent computer and other IT skills, good command of statistical application used for analysis.
- Experience working with statistical software packages such as SPSS or ENVIVO or any other
- Good facilitation skills and excellent writing skills in English.
- This post is ONLY open to International Experts.
- The post is offered for 75 days.
- UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- UNFPA is committed to maintain balanced gender distribution of the positions and therefore encourage women to apply.
- Applicants should submit their applications, a written letter of application, a copy of curriculum vitae (CV), completed UN P11 form (http://www.unfpa.org/resources/p11-un-personal-history-form) relevant education certificates and the names and contact information of three references. to: Nazish Fatima Syed ([email protected])
- Deadline for applications: 20th November 2016
- IMPORTANT: There is NO application processing or other fees at any stage of UNFPA application processes.
- Organization: UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
- Location: Islamabad
- Grade: International Consultant
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2016-11-30