Head of Mission Syria M/F
DAMASCUS | Damascus
Secours Islamique France (SIF) was created in 1991, and has developed international programs in order to alleviate the suffering of the most vulnerable populations in France and around the world. SIF acts wherever humanitarian and social needs require mobilization of emergency relief and implementation of development programs. SIF strictly follows the humanitarian principles of neutrality, independence, and impartiality while implementing programs. SIF respects cultural diversity and provides humanitarian assistance to all people in need, regardless of origin, political or religious affiliation, gender or belief.
SIF is registered and working in Syria since 2008. The SIF team in Syria is implementing projects for the displaced persons in several regions of Syria. Currently, SIF is implementing Shelter and Wash/education projects in partnership with the UNHCR, the UNICEF.
In order to continue its regional humanitarian response to Syrian refugees SIF is urgently recruiting a Head of Mission to develop the mission and the programs in the country in Syria.
§ Main responsibilities :
- Develop SIF’s short and medium term strategy for Syria,
- Analyze the context, risks, operational access issues and availability of resources
- Develop and maintain SIF's emergency activities and oversee the scale up of the emergency response
- Supervise the implementation of all aspects of the Syrian programs, and review and suggest amendments when necessary,
- Represent SIF, coordinate and advocate on key issues with local and national authorities, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, UN agencies, donors and INGOs,
- Develop funding strategies and donor mapping analysis,
- Manage external communications in collaboration with the HQs communications department. Act as the contact person with press and media,
Staff Management / Human Resources
- Participate / oversee the recruitment process of national staff,
- Interpret, develop and apply SIF’s HR policies and terms and conditions, national employment law, consistently and effectively
- Line manage senior staff, regularly make performance and management appraisals
- Organize and supervise capacity building and development of national staff.
- To ensure that appropriate logistic structures and procedures are established and / or are maintained
- Oversee planning and implementation of procurement and supply of items in line with project needs
- Ensure adequate management of warehousing, compounds, transportation, goods in kind, and assets
Safety and Security Management
Responsible for the safety and security of all SIF staff and visitors
Ensure that a safety and security framework for SIF operations is developed
Monitor the security context and maintain regular contact with security key actors,
Ensure the updating of the Security plan and produce a weekly security report,
Administration and Finance
- Ensure that appropriate administrative and financial guidelines and procedures are established regularly, updated
- Oversee budget preparation, and analysis of actual expenditures vs. budget,
- To establish and / or maintain SIF field accounting systems,
The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive
- Minimum 5 years of Previous experience in humanitarian work, including previous experiences as Country Director, or Deputy Country Director, or Chief of Party with INGOs in similar context.
- Substantial experience of strategic thinking, including identifying, analyzing, problem solving and responding to opportunities and challenges
- Extensive experience of securing substantial external funding. Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and contract management and the implications for programme management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English (and desirably French and/or Arabic)
- Ability to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with partners including local authorities.
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management
Contract: 1 year
Remuneration: According to profile
Break every 3 months
Starting date: January 2017
To apply, please submit a cover letter with detailed CVs indicating 3 referees (formers direct supervisors) to HR Department at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organization: Secours Islamique
- Location: DAMASCUS | Damascus
- Grade: Mid level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-12-05