Traineeship - Civil Engineer (Generalist)
1 position: Civil Engineer (Generalist)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
Each year, armed conflict disrupts millions of lives. The ICRC's water and habitat activities ensure that people in conflict zones have access to water and create or maintain a sustainable living environment. Ultimately, this work reduces death and suffering due to habitat damage or disruption to water supplies.
The ICRC's Water and Habitat Unit has five main areas of activity:
- Water supply, storage and distribution
- Sanitation, waste management and environmental science
- Restoration and management of electric power
- Construction, repair and safety of structures
- Provision of temporary community facilities
More information on ICRC and the Water and Habitat Unit can be found on https://www.icrc.org/en/what-we-do/water-habitat
The trainee will be part of the Water and Habitat team and work within the ICRC Assistance Division at the headquarter level. He/she will participate in the development of the Unit's activities by supporting the team in its day to day tasks and by developing technical standards, tools and guidelines.
- Interest in humanitarian issues
- Educational background in the field of Civil Engineering
- Knowledge of water resources engineering is an asset
- Interest in urban facilities, environmental engineering and/or health care approaches
- Know-how of project management and conceptualisation
- Strong analytical and organisational skills
- Literate in Microsoft Office
- Writing skills and capacity to communicate scientific information to non-specialists
- Proficient in written and spoken English, knowledge of French is an asset
- Autonomy, flexibility, adaptability
- Maximum professional experience: 1 year (2 years if including 1 year traineeship)
The position will be a full-time paid traineeship of 12 months, based at the ICRC headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
If interested, send your CV with a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for sending the application: 30.11.2016
Expected starting date of the traineeship: 13.02.2017
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted subsequently for interviews. Please be aware that the ICRC is not in a position to cover any related travel or accommodation costs. However, interviews may be conducted by phone.
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: USG, Under-Secretary-General
- Closing Date: