Communications Specialist II
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Communications Specialist in Washington, D.C.
mSTAR is a five-year project supported by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)’s Global Development Lab that seeks to initiate and support game-changing interventions advancing digital finance, digital inclusion, as well as mobile data collection and use. The project supports broad-based coordinated action by a range of market stakeholders — including governments, donors, mobile service providers, and their customers. mSTAR has staff in five countries and dozens of ongoing activities ranging from a major national effort to increase merchant acceptance of mobile payments, to global research on alternative business models for connecting the world’s marginalized populations. In addition to implementing projects for USAID, mSTAR also initiates and implements additional activities in support of the overall project goals.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
By facilitating and organizing research, writing, editing, events, and social media activities, the Communications Specialist will work closely with mSTAR and the Knowledge and Insights (K&I) team at USAID’s Center for Digital Development to support the implementation of their communications strategy. The Communications Specialist will be responsible for organizing in-person and virtual events, public awareness raising campaigns, technical publications, reports, guidance tools, ICT4D research, and other types of knowledge sharing. The position will also be responsible for tracking major ICT4D trends, developing and deploying a social media strategy, maintaining avenues for distribution to and engagement with key industry stakeholders in digital technology for development, publishing a monthly newsletter, drafting messaging content and talking points, developing fact sheet templates and content, organizing websites and micro-sites, and organizing a communications toolkit. The Specialist will be expected to bring innovative ideas to optimize the knowledge and learning strategy of the USAID K&I team. This position is initially for one year and may be renewed depending on budget considerations.
Support the implementation of the K&I team’s communications strategy to promote and publicize knowledge gathered from the Center for Digital Development’s work.
Draft and provide editorial support to the development of articles, power point presentations, blogs, reports, technical briefs, fact sheets, newsletters, and other publications.
Develop a Social Media and Twitter strategy and manage Twitter account to increase engagement and social media following.
Monitor trends in digital technology solutions for development to help inform learning and communications priorities.
Write communications pieces (success stories, articles, blog posts, etc.) and create project presentations.
Organize and develop content for web pages and micro-sites.
Lead in event design, organization, and facilitation.
Organize and update Communications Toolkit.
Be curious and willing to explore new methods for capturing and sharing information (i.e. Web 2.0 technologies).
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, international development or related field required; Master's preferred.
- 5-8 years of experience working directly in communications.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and methods of communications, public relations, and journalism.
- Experience developing and implementing project timelines and managing associated budgets.
- 1+ years of related work experience in the international development field, particularly with ICT for development
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional in public speaking situations.
- Strong writing ability a must.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, positive manner with diverse clients and staff.
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Demonstrated research, writing and editing experience for both print and web.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction.
- Familiarity with on-line collaboration tools, such as GoToWebinar, Skype, Adobe Connect, etc., preferred.
- Familiarity with website design and design software such as In-design and Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Experience with Twitter and other social media in a professional setting.
* Please include a writing sample of your professional work and authorship*
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-04