Arabic/French Speakers for UNHCR Livelihoods Roster
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State.
While UNHCR's primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well being of refugees, our ultimate goal is to help find durable solutions that will allow them to rebuild their lives in dignity. There are three durable solutions pursued by UNHCR for 6.4 million refugees in protracted situations: voluntary repatriation; local integration; or resettlement to a third country. While pursuing durable solutions, UNHCR works to increase the self-reliance and livelihood opportunities of refugees.
UNHCR launched the Global Strategy for Livelihoods 2014-2018 in an effort to inform field operations on how to implement livelihoods programmes and to guide the development of national and local livelihoods strategies. UNHCR issued the Minimum Criteria for Livelihoods Programming in February 2015 to promote market-based and data-driven programming.
UNHCR Livelihoods Unit in Headquarters is providing technical support to field operations to promote and replicate good practices. This entails designing programmes, networking and knowledge sharing between UNHCR operations.
UNHCR Livelihoods Unit in Headquarters is managing a roster of technical consultants to conduct short, medium and long missions to the field. These missions could entail:
- Develop a context specific livelihoods strategy;
- Assess current livelihoods programmes and develop an improvement plan;
- Conduct livelihoods assessments including market assessment, value chain analysis, socioeconomic assessment, etc;
- Conduct training on livelihoods programming for UNHCR and partner staff; and/or
- Formulate proposals for projects aiming to strengthen and diversify the livelihoods of refugees and host communities.
- University Degree in development studies, economics, or relevant field
- At least 8 years of experience in the design and implementation of livelihood projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following sectors: small and medium enterprise development, income generation, micro-finance, vocational training, employment services, food security including agricultural production, livestock, and/or fisheries
- Solid skills in research and analysis, using and presenting quantitative and qualitative data, project and report writing
- Demonstrated experience in conducting assessments for planning and/or evaluation purposes and familiarity with assessment and analytical tools (Household Economy approach, Sustainable Livelihoods Framework, market analysis, socioeconomic profiling, etc.)
- Broad knowledge of key actors involved in developing policies and programmes related to livelihoods
- Strong communication and individual organizational skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluent in French and/or Arabic
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2016-12-31