Chief of Party- Liberia
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking a humanitarian and international development professional with expertise in market development to implement an important new initiative in Liberia as the Chief of Party. Overall, this is intended to be a 5-year project valued at $1M USD.
LOCATION: Monrovia, Liberia
DURATION: 1 year initial contract
The Liberia Country Program (2016 – 2021), led by Cities Alliance, is a five year program that aims to create a platform to support the sustainable urban development of greater Monrovia, in an inclusive and comprehensive manner. The program builds on the foundation of community engagement, partnerships and institutional capacity building and aims to facilitate the development of a national urban policy and a city development strategy that creates a common development platform.
Habitat for Humanity International is a key partner in the Liberia Country Program (LCP). HFHI’s key objective is to work with public, private, and community actors to create a slum upgrading and affordable housing policy framework that includes housing and upgrading interventions to guide the overall planning and development of affordable and adequate housing in greater Monrovia. Housing interventions could include working with the private sector to improve products and services for low-income consumers, especially those who are under-served or unserved by formal products and services such as housing finance, building materials, and trained construction professionals.
Facilitating the delivery of affordable housing and slum upgrading is a fundamental part of supporting the sustainable urban development of greater Monrovia. The Liberia Country Program creates a platform for HFHI to collaborate with program partners including Slum Dwellers International, UN-Habitat, WIEGO, National Housing Authority at the national government level, as well as Monrovia City Corporation and Paynesville City Corporation local governments.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Lead the development and implementation of an innovative and entrepreneurial housing market development strategy in greater Monrovia, in alignment with key public, private, community and development sector partners.
- Execute effective program management, monitoring and evaluation, coordination and partnership building for the HFHI Liberia Country Program.
- Collaborate with the regional and global market development subject matter experts to carry out the implementation of market development projects, including desktop review, field research and design and implementation of interventions.
- Coordinate in-country work to produce a housing market value chain analysis and follow-on interventions by working with:
- key private sector actors in the local housing market;the supporters and support services in the housing market; and
- ◦public sector organizations, examining the regulatory and policy framework that affects the affordable housing market.
- Oversee the design and implementation of housing market development pilots for Habitat for Humanity’s market development work in greater Monrovia.
- Lead and facilitate the engagement with private sector actors to develop products and/or services to expand housing related market development interventions in greater Monrovia.
- Develop and maintain networks of local housing consultants and associates with skills in housing, private sector development, and monitoring and evaluation, and build partnerships with like-minded organizations with complementary skills and interests.
- Act as the country focal point for the HFHI portion, working in partnership and nurturing relationships with Cities Alliance and relevant partners.
- Supervise various activities and oversee implementation of all HFHI activities, including engagements, partnership agreements, deliverables, monitoring and evaluation, and donor reporting.
- Represent HFHI at all relevant meetings in Liberia, including the quarterly Steering Committee to report on project progress.
- Establish in-country project teams and consortia to carry out HFHI components.
- Manage project budget and ensure funds are disbursed properly, accounting records and supporting documents are properly kept, and financial procedures/regulations are applied.
- Work with potential and actual donors, identifying opportunities for resource mobilization.
- Four year university degree in business administration, finance, economics, international development or related areas.
- 8-10 years’ experience that includes market development or value chain analysis AND one or more of the following: affordable housing, proposal development, program design, program management, impact evaluation. (Work experience in both affordable housing and market development is preferred.)
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience working in Liberia, including a strong network of contacts in the public and private sectors and NGO community. Housing sector contacts are a plus.
- Proven track record of success in managing projects related to market development or value chain initiatives.
- Research experience, in particular in leading focus group discussions and key informant interviews.
- Experience in providing advisory or consulting services to private sector enterprises or government agencies.
- Proven experience in working flexibly and entrepreneurial with the private sector.
- Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Strong communication and presentation skills (written and oral). In particular the ability to write clearly, succinctly and engagingly about technical subjects in English.
- Familiarity with the work of HFHI and Cities Alliance or other multilateral, bilateral and civil society development partners in urban development.
- Experience handling logistics and field research work.
- Good facilitation skills to enable the participation of diverse market actors in a meaningful way.
- PRINCE2 Foundation or a similar project management certification (i.e. PMBOK, PMP, and PMI).
To be considered for this opportunity please apply directly at : https://www.habitat.org/about/careers/chief-party-liberia
- Organization: Habitat for Humanity
- Location: Monrovia
- Grade: Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-12-08