Postdoctoral Economist (Impact Assessment and M&E)
Hanoi | Hanoi
Postdoctoral Economist (Impact Assessment and M&E) - Asia
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (**www.ciat.cgiar.org**) works to reduce hunger and poverty, and improve human health in the tropics through research aimed at increasing the eco-efficiency of agriculture. CIAT is a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org), a global research partnership working many partners for a food secure future. The Center’s research focuses on improving key crops (cassava, common bean, rice, and tropical forages); reversing soil and land degradation; and using information to foster better decisions about issues such as climate change and environmental management. Headquartered near Cali, Colombia, CIAT has regional offices in Nairobi, Kenya, and Hanoi, Vietnam, with staff posted in other developing countries as well.
The Postdoctoral Economist will lead impact assessment (IA), and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities across different research areas being implemented by CIAT and partners in Asia. These include: cassava value chains, forage-based livestock-crop systems, integrated agricultural systems and landscapes, climate change and ecosystem services, and food systems and value chains. The position will work with the CIAT regional team based in Hanoi, Vietnam in assessing research-for-development outputs and outcomes – both for institutional learning and for sharing with various external stakeholders. This position is expected to collaborate with various CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) where CIAT is participating in Asia. The selected candidate will be part of an international, multidisciplinary team that delivers research outputs for development outcomes and impacts. He/she reports to the Leader of Impact Assessment Research at CIAT Headquarters and to the Regional Director for Asia.
· Leads impact assessment (IA) research for CIAT in Asia and coordinates different IA activities with the regional team, other CIAT research areas and CRPs where CIAT participates
· Identifies and prioritizes technological, institutional and other innovations suitable for the implementation of impact studies in the region, in close consultation with the CIAT Asia team
· Leads the planning and implementation of M&E and institutional learning activities to provide timely and useful information on CIAT Asia’s collaborative research activities and target outputs and outcomes. These learning-oriented M&E activities should also contribute to the broader CIAT and CGIAR agendas
· Contributes to project development and grant-proposal writing for IA studies and M&E activities in Asia
· Coordinates IA and M&E capacity building efforts among CIAT staff and partners in the region, and promotes linkages with relevant institutions and networks regionally/globally
· Facilitates knowledge-sharing of IA and M&E results within and outside CIAT, including through peer-reviewed publications.
· PhD in Agricultural Economics, Development Economics or related fields. The degree must have been obtained within the last five years. Current PhD students must be able to provide evidence of expected awarding of the degree not later than January 2017
· At least two years of relevant experience in implementing IA studies and M&E activities in agricultural research and/or development
· Demonstrated ability in working with multi-disciplinary teams and collaborative research programs
· Proven skills in the use of quantitative and qualitative methods
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
· Experience working in the Asian region is a plus
Terms of employment
The position is internationally recruited and based at the CIAT Regional Office in Hanoi, Vietnam. The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed responsibilities and qualifications together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Submit applications by email to Human Resources Office, CIAT Headquarters, Cali, Colombia (attention: Ms. Andrea Linares email@example.com) and should clearly indicate “Postdoctoral Economist -Asia”.
- Organization: CIAT - International Center for Tropical Agriculture
- Location: Hanoi | Hanoi
- Grade: Mid level
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-11-07