Internal Vacancy - Head, International Personnel Services Section
UNITED NATIONS RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY
FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES IN THE NEAR EAST
Internal Vacancy Announcement
Head, International Personnel Services Section
Note: This is a temporary vacancy until 30 April 2018.
Vacancy Announcement Number
Deadline for Applications
19 October 2016
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Human Resources Services Division (CHRSD), the Head, International Personnel Services Section will be responsible for leading and managing the administration of all international staff entitlements and payroll. He/she is also responsible for the administration of staff entitlements and benefits, policy implementation, health insurance and general advice regarding international staff Agency-wide. In accordance with the established Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent will:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Manage the International Personnel Section (IPS) team, ensuring timely responses to all requests of personnel issues, provide coaching, mentoring and training to section staff members; plan, develop, review and implement internal management processes for the improvement of services provided;
· Lead and evaluate the implementation of all entitlements, allowances and benefits for international staff; review, certify and authorize all entitlements and related actions through REACH payroll module; supervise international staffing table through post management of encumbered and vacant posts and advise CHRSD of any implications of vacant post usage;
· Advise CHRSD and senior management on the interpretation and application of international staff policies; research, draft and implement changes to staff regulations, rules and related issuances for international staff, in coordination with Senior Human Resources Policy Officer; participate in policy reviews and formulation of procedures to improve human resources services in the Area of Operations;
· Manage and monitor end-to-end administration of entitlements; in close coordination with the Human Resources Planning, Policy and Development Division (HRPPDD), interpret, verify and implement the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) pay package in a timely and accurate manner;
· Serve as the Agency focal point for the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF); administer the group medical and life insurance plans in effect for international staff, including the resolution of all claims and disputes with the insurance companies;
· Lead and oversee the Performance Management System (PMS) for international staff, and coordinate with responsible offices to ensure compliance with PMS policies and guidelines;
· Participate in human resources projects, task forces, committees and meetings related to international staff administration and provide advice and recommendations.
Professional Knowledge and Experience
· Advanced university degree from an accredited educational institution in public or business administration, human resources management, or any other related field;
· A minimum of 8 years’ experience in the application of the knowledge acquired above with at least three years at a supervisory level in a large international, governmental or commercial organization, specifically in HR management involving benefits and contract administration and 2 years of relevant international experience outside one’s home country;
· Excellent command of written and spoken English.
· Proven ability in the development and maintenance of effective internal and external work relationships at all levels and in gaining trust and confidence of clients;
· Excellent skills in managing and organizing self and others;
· Ability to negotiate persuasively on a range of issues;
· Proven integrity in dealing with confidential issues;
· Excellent counseling skills;
· Demonstrated openness in sharing knowledge and information with team members and keeping staff informed on relevant developments;
· Ability to negotiate persuasively a range of problems, including sensitive, complex and contentious issues and to advise staff on different options to meet their needs;
· Ability to introduce new ideas and to seek creative and innovative solutions;
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for gender and diversity;
· Proven ability to conduct research in HR matters.
· Detailed knowledge of UN and UNRWA Regulations, Rules and Directives, and of the sources from which they are compiled;
· Working knowledge and experience of the Agency’s operations in the Middle East, and knowledge of Middle Eastern culture.
The incumbent might be required to travel in the Agency’s area of operations.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Human Resources Department may substitute part of the unmet requirements under UNRWA’s equivalency determination guidelines with a combination of relevant academic qualification, additional professional training and/or progressive relevant work experience. Note: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered sufficient for an equivalency determination.
Conditions of Service
UNRWA offers an attractive compensation package including annual salary starting at $74,130 net tax free with dependants or $69,032 single, plus post adjustment of 37.8% (subject to change without notice). Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include education grant, dependency allowance, home leave, pension fund, health insurance and 6 weeks of annual leave. All UNRWA duty stations (with the exception of Gaza and Syria) are family duty stations. Initial contract is to cover a temporary vacancy with the incumbent on another assignment until 30 April 2018. There is the possibility of further extension depending on the return or otherwise of the incumbent to the post, availability of funds, satisfactory performance and the continuing need for the post.
How to Apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Date of issue: 6 October 2016 / CF
- Organization: UNRWA - United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees
- Location: Amman
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-10-19