Economic Strengthening and Financial Literacy Specialist
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Economic Strengthening and Financial Literacy Specialist
FHI 360 seeks an Economic Strengthening and Financial Literacy Specialist for a USAID Zambia Feed the Future program that aims to reduce stunting in two targeted districts through increased and improved quality of dietary and health conditions for better utilization of nutrients. The program seeks to influence nutritional outcomes through an integrated approach that emphasizes household and community level interventions and social and behavior change mechanisms for maximum saturation and impact. Activities will support increased access to and consumption of nutrient-dense and protein-rich food, optimal infant and young child feeding practices, and access to clean water and appropriate and effective health, family planning and nutrition services.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The Specialist will work with informal financial groups and institutions to foster savings and develop financial products and services that are tailored to target populations, including women, youth and marginalized groups. In addition, the Specialist will provide overall guidance and technical expertise on capacity building of service providers that serve households in the targeted districts and financial education initiatives for delivery through savings groups, cooperatives, women and youth groups, farmer associations and community-based groups, and through awareness raising and SBCC.
- Provide technical guidance on household-level economic strengthening, social protection, financial literacy and related issues, and work with stakeholders to identify gaps and devise tailored solutions that are accessible, appropriate and affordable;
- Establish strong relationships and work closely (or establish) with informal groups (VSLAs, Savings Groups, etc.) to develop capacity and link women and youth to these groups to stimulate household savings, provide loan product knowledge and awareness, and improve household-level financial management;
- Work closely with the SBCC Specialist to ensure development of appropriate messaging for public awareness raising and development of tools and content for financial literacy/education materials through a variety of channels for literate, semi-literate and illiterate populations and other household level economic strengthening content;
- Assess and monitor the overall quality of the portfolio of target savings groups and entities to identify gaps for capacity building and technical assistance needs as relate to management of finances and membership; and
- Develop contribute inputs to annual work plans and all relevant communications and required client reporting mechanisms in close collaboration with field program staff.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in financial education/literacy and household-level economic strengthening initiatives, especially for smallholder farmer groups, women and youth
- University degree in finance, economics, business, international relations or related field
- Knowledge of the Zambian agricultural sector and/or nutrition, or similar Feed the Future initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in economic strengthening, financial literacy, access to finance, or related work in Zambia
- Knowledge of and experience in financial product development (informal) in cooperation with Savings Groups, SACCOs, and with mobile banking, or similar
- Demonstrated experience developing and integrating inclusive-related content and messaging in communications, tools and training materials
- USAID experience preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Lusaka
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2016-11-03