Senior Director, New Business Development
Arlington | Washington D.C
MSH’s Pharmaceuticals & Health Technologies Group (PHT) works to improve health worldwide by enhancing access to and improving use of essential medicines and other health technologies. PHT’s focus is to help countries develop the capacity to ensure access to pharmaceuticals and health technologies through system strengthening approaches.
The PHT Group seeks an experienced business development professional to lead business development activities that target LMIC markets. The individual will implement PHT’s strategy to build a portfolio of new business outside of MSH’s core funding sources of US government agencies. Client targets include commercial and private sector businesses at global and country levels as well as the World Bank, UN agencies, major foundations, and other international organizations working to improve access to all aspects of pharmaceutical services.
The Senior Director of New Business Development will be a key contributor to MSH. Reporting to the PHT Vice-President, he/she will provide strong business leadership in assessing opportunities and guiding PHT’s business decisions. The role identifies, investigates, and analyzes new opportunities for strategic fit with PHT’s non-USG business goals. The Senior Director will use a strategic planning approach, combined with a thorough knowledge of the market, and matched with a firm understanding of PHT’s technical offerings/services to develop a pipeline of private and commercial business in the pharmaceutical sector for MSH. The Senior Director will also build and maintain business relationships with leading agencies and organizations that are key players in global development related to pharmaceuticals and health technologies, and will represent MSH and PHT at important international meetings and conferences.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who has significant experience working in international development and/or the global pharmaceutical sector, particularly in LMICs markets, a good understanding of the technical work, and who is a self-starter who excels in the art of cultivating clients and deal-making.
New Business Strategy Development (100%)
- Identifies and stewards portfolio of new opportunities to support PHT’s business goals.
- Conducts market research (independently and/or in collaboration with internal subject matter experts) to provide detailed economic analyses of new non-USG pharmaceutical sector opportunities (e.g., business intelligence, competitive analysis, development plan, commercial forecast, financial analyses) to inform business decisions.
- Presents business rationale, analysis and pricing strategy to senior executives and interface with senior management to reach agreement.
- Drives the deal process from first contact with potential clients through relationship cultivation to execution of agreements. Track these efforts using a customer relationship management system (Salesforce).
- Closes new business opportunities by coordinating the evaluation of new opportunities across multiple functional areas including regulatory, commercial, finance, legal, intellectual property, etc.
- Develops and maintains a schedule of contacts with business prospects and gains access to influencers and decision makers in order to best position PHT and effectively complete negotiations.
- Fosters a culture of excellence and accountability. Reviews all strategic partnering decisions in consultation with the VP for PHT and in coordination with MSH’s Business Development and Global Partnership, Marketing, and Communications offices. Provides technical input to the proposals ensuring compliance with MSH quality standards and funder requirements.
- Develops business strategies and annual and multi-year plans, including revenue targets to meet the new business development and diversification goals of PHT and MSH. Also contributes to PHT and MSH’s yearly revenue targets, bidding strategy, and annual work planning process for business development.
- Represents PHT and MSH to both internal and external clients in a positive and professional manner.
- Works closely with MSH’s corporate finance and legal teams to structure and execute complicated transactions.
- Serves as a member of PHT’s senior management team.
- Supervises business development staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the PHT VP to contribute to the success and achievement of PHT’s new business projects and activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in management, business administration, public health or a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years of related experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven track record in securing funding from international private sector businesses as well as international donor agencies, major foundations, and other international organizations working to improve access to medicines.
- Have established working relationships with key global organizations, agencies, and players in PHT’s target markets or the capacity to quickly establish and build those relationships.
- Successful track record of proposal writing and oversight of proposal development required.
- Experience working in/with LMICs on international public health or development work, with demonstrated success working with multiple sectors and achieving programmatic and financial results.
- Demonstrated understanding of current topics, trends, and institutions related to global health, particularly in pharmaceuticals and health technologies is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success as a leader, manager and team player who has successfully motivated staff from diverse backgrounds to achieve and sustain excellence.
- Superior analytic and strategic communication skills—verbal and written—including visual depiction of insights and ideas.
- Demonstrated capacity to speak and present at high level international meetings and conferences.
- Team player who is comfortable working in a global matrix system and exerting leadership through strong influencing skills
- Well organized, detail oriented, with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to function autonomously and drive strategic decisions while also executing deals from start-to-finish.
- Ability to make strong professional and credible impressions with senior-level audiences, both to a variety of external stakeholders and internally
- Availability to travel internationally as needed.
- Keyboard use, Pulling drawers, Lifting papers <10lbs.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Visit the MSH website to Apply!
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Arlington | Washington D.C
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-11-15