Bangui | Bangui
Contract/Level: IICA 2 (ICS10)
Contract duration: 6 months (renewable)
1. General Background
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
We employ more than 6,000 personnel and on behalf of our partners create thousands more work opportunities in local communities. Through our headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark and a network of offices, we oversee activities in more than 80 countries.
Background Information – UNOPS CDOH
Located in Kinshasa, DRC the UNOPS office (CDOH) in Central Africa covers the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Central African Republic (CAR) and the Republic of Congo (RC) and its coverage is expanding further in the region. The office has developed a strong working relations with various international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments of Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management and sectoral advisory services; peace and security, environmental preservation and protection among others.
Background Information - Job-specific- Projects in CAR
The Security Council, by its resolution 2149 (2014), established the UN mission (MINUSCA) in CAR for an initial period until 30 April 2015 and decided that, as from 15 September 2014, MINUSCA would initially comprise up to 10,000 military personnel, including 240 military observers and 200 staff officers, 1,800 police personnel, including 1,400 formed police personnel and 400 individual police officers, and 20 corrections officers.
The Mission will be deployed in up to 45 locations in the Central African Republic, including a Mission headquarters in Bangui, three integrated sector headquarters (KagaBandoro, Bria and Bouar), five integrated field offices (Ndele, Bambari, Bossangoa, Bangassou and Berberati), three sub-offices (Paoua, Obo and Birao) and 31 additional locations with only a permanent military presence.
UNOPS is supporting MINUSCA in a number of areas, including with its DDR program where UNOPS provides services on the registration of ex-combatants, food distribution and distribution of non-food items to ex-combatant beneficiaries in several locations in CAR. Other DDR services requested include support to community violence reduction (CVR) programs. In addition, UNOPS provides MINUSCA services relates to the construction and assembly of prefabricated camps across CAR.
Furthermore, UNOPS works with the World Bank and MINUSCA on a road rehabilitation project. And the UNOPS portfolio in CAR has grown significantly in 2016, due to its growing partnership with other development actors.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Operation manager will directly report to the CAR Head of Office and overall supervision of the CDOH Hub Director. S/he will also work in consultation with the Head of Support Services of CDOH based in Kinshasa. The Operation manager will be entrusted with the following tasks:
Summary of Key Functions
· Strategic direction of operations
· Human Resources management and supervision of the HR team
· Procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team
· Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
· Transport and Technical Services
· Security-related issues.
1- As a member of the Management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Full compliance of operations with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
· Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the Project, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge networks and communities of practice.
· Management of the Operations & Support Services of the Project/Programme, namely HR Management, Procurement, Logistical, ICT Services and Security aspects, ensuring the timely delivery of services.
· Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment and improvements of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
· In managing the Operations & Support Services, liaise and assist with PMs and other UN agencies on operational matters to understand their needs, provide guidance, and implement solutions.
· Development of tools and platform for operations and data management, ensuring information and knowledge sharing with colleagues, clients and partners.
· Ensuring compliance with defined communication lines with CDOH in Kinshasa.
· Regular active participation in OMT meetings.
· Upon request from Supervisor: Attend the UNCT and/or SMT meetings.
2- Ensures strategic human resources management **and supervision of the HR team** focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Project compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
· Draft and monitoring of recruitment plan for the Project/Programme in CAR.
· Oversight of recruitment processes of local and international positions within the project in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations, appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management.
· Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems.
· As a focal point in HR, follow-up on all transactional matters and keeping up to date all statistical relevant data, in collaboration with the CDOH Hub in Kinshasa.
· Definition of training plans for personnel involved in the delivery of support services.
· Management of the movement of personnel into and within the duty station.
3- Ensures provision of efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Full compliance to the corporate rules and regulations in elaboration of procurement strategies, including suppliers sourcing, appraisal, contract awards and performance assessment, adhering to the quality management systems, customer relationship management and performance measurement
· In cooperation with CDOH Procurement Unit development and implementation of a procurement management system that helps the project procurement planning, needs identification, suppliers management, administering and monitoring of contract and performance matters and all other matters related to the procurement in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Manual
· Based on the project needs assessment, supervise procurement implementation progress, preparation of bidding documents following different types of competition, establishment of lists of recommendable suppliers, following successful performance. Together with the requesting programme component, participating at evaluation and recommendations for contract awards
· Establishment and running of an effective contract management control tool within CAR Project/Programme
· Provision of guidance on all procurement matters in cooperation with CDOH Procurement unit
· Development and implementation of a comprehensive supply chain and logistic systems in accordance with UNOPS procedures
· Ensure the effective asset management system processes and procedures are at place in accordance with UNOPS Assets management policies, including movement and location of the project assigned equipment.
4- Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
5- Ensures efficient transport and technical services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Establishment and management of a vehicle pool for providing transportation services as required by the Office as well as to meet logistical needs
· Development and implementation of a vehicle management and maintenance system in accordance with UNOPS vehicle management policy and procedures
· Implementation of a repair and maintenance system for all equipment including EDP equipment, communications equipment, vehicles and generators, etc.
· Building management and maintenance activities; development and implementation of a power policy in line with capacity of the city power and generators.
6- Ensures proper management of security-related issues, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Analysis and identification of potential issues related to security and proposal of strategies and proposal of options to be reviewed by management
· Ensuring full compliance to MOSS and MORSS requirements
· Design and implementation of a Business continuity plan
· Implementation of a comprehensive security policy for the Project in each area of operations
· Establishment of a security warden system for the Project and a duty roster for after hours response to projects
· Guidance and supervision to the security guards for safeguarding the staff and premises
· Preparation of Security Incident Reports whenever needed
· Update of security briefing note and briefing of staff / visitors on security-related matters.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of the Project operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
· Human Resources
· Procurement and logistical services
· Transportation services
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
· Respect for diversity
· Creativity and innovation
· Commitment to continuous learning
· Planning and organization skills
· Results orientation
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Teamwork skills
· Client orientation
· Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Promotes knowledge management in UNOPS and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
· Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
· Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
· Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Management, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
A first-level university degree with a combination 2 additional years of relevant professional experience related to the nature of the position may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
· 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
· Experience in Implementation of community based projects an asset
· Strong planning skills are an asset as well.
- Substantial field based experience and demonstrated delivery of projects and programme in conflict and/or post conflict situations.
- Previous experience of United Nations Mission contexts is an advantage.
- Preferably PRINCE2 Practitioner and MSP Practitioner certified.
- Previous management experience within UNOPS a key advantage.
· Fluency in French and English are required.
Qualified candidates may submit their application to: https://gprs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=10900 C
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangui | Bangui
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-10-06