Communication and Extension Specialist (16 - 15)
International Potato Center
COMMUNICATION AND EXTENSION SPECIALIST
The International Potato Centre (CIP) seeks a highly talented and focused Communication and Extension Specialist to drive the communications and extension related activities of the Viable Sweetpotato Technologies in Africa (VISTA) Project in Mozambique.
Location: Nampula, Mozambique
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org ) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions.
The Project: The overall goal of VISTA Mozambique is to contribute to improved nutrition, food security and incomes of 100,000 smallholder farming families through increased production and better utilization of the biofortified orange-fleshed sweetpotato (OFSP) varieties, especially by those most at risk of vitamin A deficiency - children under five years of age and pregnant and lactating women. With continued support from USAID / Feed the Future, the project is expanding its current activities to 16 districts in Nampula and Zambezia Provinces for the next 5 years. VISTA is a research and development collaboration between CIP and national and local partners and emphasizes the importance of technical excellence, rigorous evidence base, and capacity development of Mozambican stakeholders.
The Position: The Communication and Extension Specialist will report to the Project Leader and CIP Country Manager, and directly liaise with the M&E team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of the VISTA communication strategy
- In collaboration with the technical project team (agronomists, nutritionists, marketing specialists), document, and communicate the project’s best practices for technology transfer;
- Coordinate communication and dissemination efforts for the promotion of Agriculture, Nutrition and Marketing technologies and activities for reaching beneficiaries at large scale. This includes documentation of success stories and promotion of promising technologies with farmers and the public extension agents;
- Coordinate timely generation of high quality communication materials (print, online, broadcast) through direct hands-on production and working with partners and consultants as will be agreed with the Project Leader;
- Coordinate the project’s contributions to national, regional and global communication efforts, information platforms and websites by CIP and partner institutions;
- Support preparation of project reports and other technical documentation as advised;
- Contribute to the organization and documentation of public events that promote the project’s objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in journalism, communication, marketing or a related area;
- Five years of professional experience in developing and implementing communication plans within a project or program context;
- Demonstrated experience working with media and public relations in Mozambique;
- Demonstrated experience working with farmer organizations and rural extension agents; experience with agricultural or nutrition research programs is an advantage;
- Strong understanding of nutrition and agriculture communication strategies;
- Excellent skills in use of social media and website contents management;
- Proactive and problem-solving work ethic;
- Proven ability to work in diverse teams including local and international colleagues;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in Portuguese and English Knowledgeable and familiarity with local languages such as Emacua and Lomue is an added advantage;
- Mozambican Nationality;
- Willingness to travel frequently to the field and work under field conditions.
Conditions: The employment contract will be for a three-year term (with a three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding. The salary will be very competitive, paid in Meticais, and commensurate with experience. This is a local position, and CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ ), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 1st October, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Nampula
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2016-09-30