Strategic Planning Facilitator (MC-VA-650916)
Yangon | Yangon
Mercy Corps is looking to engage a short-term consultant for a maximum of 7 business days to conduct a Strategic Planning workshop. Mercy Corps Myanmar is in the process of undertaking a strategic planning process for the next 3 years. The previous plan expired in 2015 and given the enormous changes the country has experienced, it is deemed necessary to refresh the organization’s thinking and to ensure that its programs add maximum value to Myanmar’s communities.
Project/Consultancy Title: Strategic Planning Facilitator (MC-VA-650916)
Project Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Timeframe / Schedule: Between November 16 – 18, 2016.
The Consultant will report to: Country Director
Mercy Corps is an international NGO working in the field of community led and market driven development in transitional environments since 1979. Mercy Corps works in 40 countries, with more than 4000 professionals and a budget of close to USD 400 million per year.
Mercy Corps has been active in Myanmar since 2008 in the wake of cyclone Nargis. Currently, the organization operates in 3 key thematic areas (market driven development, peace and governance, energy access) and has about 300 staff employed in 6 offices around the country. Mercy Corps has MOU’s with 2 Ministries (Social Welfare and Forestry / Livestock) and is negotiating a 3rd one with the Ministry of Agriculture.
Mercy Corps Myanmar is in the process of undertaking a strategic planning process for the next 3 years. The previous plan expired in 2015 and given the enormous changes the country has experienced, it is deemed necessary to refresh the organization’s thinking and to ensure that its programs add maximum value to Myanmar’s communities.
To help the organization make decisions about its future programs, it wishes to conduct a 2nd planning workshop with a view to determine: Mercy Corps’s vision for the next 3 years; to develop 3 – 5 program objectives; to agree on the core program approaches; to review and agree its main geographical work – locations and to agree core target groups. In addition, the participants should discuss how teams should interact to deliver on the strategic objectives, and which gaps (quality, capacity, funding) Mercy Corps might need to address to be successful. Around 15 key staff will attend the workshop. The outputs of this workshop will serve to draft the final strategy.
The Consultant will first have an inception meeting with the Mercy Corps Country Director and relevant staff. The Consultant will receive and review all previous outputs that have been part of the strategic planning process so far, such as the summary report and the systems mapping. The Consultant will then prepare a draft workshop facilitation outline to be used during the workshop and discuss this with the Country Director and members of the SMT. S/he will undertake the necessary preparation to facilitate the event and conduct the workshop. Upon completion s/he will prepare a draft document that will serve as the foundation for the strategy.
- Develop a workshop agenda
- Facilitation of a 2-3 day - workshop aimed at finalizing vision and developing program objectives, approaches; where Mercy Corps will focus its geographical areas and who our target groups would be. In addition the outputs should contain how teams should interact and which gaps should be addressed if the strategic objectives are to be delivered on
- A 5 -10-page document outlining the key outcomes of the workshop containing the above elements which will then serve as a document for staff to comment on
- Excellent facilitation skills and ability to deliver the key asks
- Cultural and social sensitivity and ability to work with groups of varying English language skills and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of Myanmar and preferably based in country
- Fluency in English with professional writing skills
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply and submit a letter of interest, outlining how they would approach this task to Human Resources Department (email@example.com) by October 15, 2016 (before 5:00pm).
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Yangon | Yangon
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-10-15