Early Childhood Development (ECD) Officer, NO-2
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Please note that this position is open to Thai Nationals only
Purpose of the Position
Under supervision of Chief Education, this new position will be required to address gaps in competencies required to achieve the results of the new ECD results area, which has been developed at the Outcome level. The ECD programme will require expert human resources within the technical domains of policy development, early learning, child care, nutrition, child protection, service management and budget and equity analysis. The Chief of section of Education will provide overall leadership for the Outcome, including strategic direction and partnership development. The ECD NOB officer post will focus on the early years of ECD and will have a paediatric background an/or expertise in nutrition, which currently doesn't exist within the country office but which is a significant component of the new country programme. The post will involve working closely with and developing relations with the Ministry of Health and ECD health professionals as well as advising ECD service providers on nutrition interventions, and will require a staff position rather than consultancy services for this continuous engagement and for the credibility of the ECD programe.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Support to ECD program development and planning
- Conduct/update situation analysis and assessments on early childhood development related issues to establish evidence-based data to support holistic policy and program development and coordinated planning, implementation and monitoring of results of ECD related programs/projects.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of ECD program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through research, collection, analysis and reporting of ECD related information/data for development planning and priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical, program, operational and administrative transactions, preparing related materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required program documentations/materials/data to facilitate the program review and approval process.
- Contribute significantly to the overall analysis, planning and development of the ECD programme, and coordinate the office-wide ECD results team.
- Program management, monitoring and delivery of results.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss ECD operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess ECD programs/projects and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Monitor and report on the use of ECD program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on critical issues/findings to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular/mandated ECD program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Lead on the implementation and monitoring of the ECD programme, in close collaboration with the Chief of Education and office-wide ECD results team.
- Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on ECD related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
- Strengthen ECD programme implementation through regular monitoring and engagement with partners and ECD service providers, both national and decentralized levels.
- Strengthen the quality of the ECD programme through strategic use of global learning and evidence on child development.
- Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders across relevant sectors through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on ECD programs.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support resource mobilization for ECD programs.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of ECD programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF's position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
- Networking with and capacity development of key ECD partners (Government, specifically Ministry of Health and non-governmental) to strengthen the quality of programme implementation.
- Provide strategic advocacy inputs to the ECD programme through the use of ECD research and learning, including in the areas of nutrition and parenting.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Research and report on best and cutting edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Strengthen the ECD parenting programme using global evidence, assessments of parental needs and capacities of service providers and through the use of innovative approaches.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university Degree in early childhood development, education, public administration/health, nutrition, economics, psychology, sociology, human development, child development, family studies or other social science field is required.
- At least two years of relevant professional work experience in social development planning and management in early childhood development areas at the international and/or in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in ECD related areas, program/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Specific experience of nutrition and parenting programmes an asset.
- 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
- Thai Nationals only
- Knowledge on 1) UNICEF communication goals, visions, positions, policies, guidelines and strategies, 2) UNICEF policies and strategy to address national and international issues, including emergencies, 3) UNICEF emergency communication policies, goals, strategies and approaches, including emergency preparedness and 4) Gender equality and diversity awareness, as asset.
- Meets UNICEF Core Value and competencies: Commitment, Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity, Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Successful candidate will be offered a remuneration package under UN system.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer
- Social studies
- Education and Training
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Closing Date: 2016-10-16