Associate General Counsel
Manila | Manila
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking a talented professional for the role of Associate General Counsel. This position will have a key role in providing necessary legal support to Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI)'s Asia Pacific Area Office (APO), including the developing and enhancing of legal and compliance resources for the APO; coordinating closely with the HFHI headquarters legal department to address legal concerns of the global enterprise of Habitat, promote risk management to protect Habitat for Humanity operations and its brand; and support strategic initiatives of HFHI's strategic plan and ensure alignment of Asia Pacific programs and operations with HFHI's strategic plan. This position will collaborate with and assist the APO's Area Vice President, Area Management Team, APO staff, HFHI Headquarters Legal Department, and other HFHI departments to serve as internal legal consultant for the APO.This position will be based at HFHI's Asia Pacific area office located in Manila,Philippines.
- Provide legal advice on Philippines and other employment law; commercial, corporate, property/real estate transactions; contracts and regulatory compliance, as relevant to the APO and branches in the AP region to address both immediate legal needs and strategic/long-term needs of the APO.
- Develop and enhance legal resources, including procedures, templates and training materials, and subsequently training internal clients on how best to use these legal resources.
- Create tools that strike an appropriate balance of efficiency and risk management, such as commonly used checklists, form documents, and consistent documentation of legal advice.
- Support, develop, manage, and monitor partnerships with strategic allies including the review of donor agreements and government grant agreements, including AusAid, KOIKA and USAID government contracts.
- Support enforcement of HFHI policies among NO's, including if necessary re-structuring and dissolution of branch and national offices; ensuring compliance and registration with national laws.
- Facilitate cooperation between local Habitat for Humanity entities and respective authorities on legal and administrative matters.
- Manage outside counsel used by APO, branches and Habitat branded National Organizations (NOs) to ensure excellent and cost-effective services so as to manage risk and reduce outside counsel fees; liaise with outside counsel and document legal advice received from outside counsel.
- Ensure that practices by Habitat branded entities in the Asia Pacific region are in compliance with the requirements and standards of HFHI.
- Act as key field link between the APO and the headquarters HFHI Legal Department.
- Provide legal support as it relates to health and safety regulations and compliance – construction, security, staff, volunteers, etc.
- Support HFHI's enterprise risk management (ERM) and compliance system in the AP region by working closely with the VP of Legal, Director of International Risk Management and Governance, and the Strategy and Program Effectiveness Manager in AP Programs.
- Works with outside counsel, insurance companies and government agencies to manage HFHI’s international risk management and insurance programs.
- Provide legal support to the APO with respects to corporate governance in AP programs, types of boards, and HFHI control levels, HFHI staff involvement in NO governance and possible legal risks.
- Interface with other departments, including Internal Audit, in investigations of claims of wrongdoing made against any Habitat branded entities in the AP region.
- Bachelor's Degree specializing in Law
- Qualified lawyer in the Philippines
- 15 years' government, private practice or in-house legal experience.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: employment, general corporate, risk/litigation management, real estate, or transactional matters.
- The ideal candidate will have handled a wide range of matters, have good judgment, be process oriented with a positive outlook, a strong work ethic, attention to detail, and an even-keeled demeanor.
- Candidate must be comfortable in a global, humanitarian, and in Christian Organization.
- Lived and worked in more than 2 countries and/or international experience.
- Sound knowledge of Philippine Labor and other Law.
- Non-profit organization experience
To be considered for this opportunity please apply directly at : http://www.habitat.org/job/associate-general-counsel
- Organization: Habitat for Humanity
- Location: Manila | Manila
- Grade: Senior
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-10-31