Senior Arabic Translator/Reviser- Syria
Based in Damascus
Activity rate: 100 %
For reasons related to the ICRC's working procedures, particularly its principle of neutrality, ICRC personnel cannot be nationals of, or originate from, the countries to which they are assigned.
Purpose of the post
The ICRC's delegation in Syria is seeking a senior Arabic translator/reviser to manage the delegation's translation service and ensure that documents are translated in accordance with the standards of the profession and of the ICRC.
The senior translator/reviser is the focal point for all written translations (from English to Arabic and vice versa) at the delegation, in particular reports and general communications to be submitted to the authorities, as well as publications, presentations, training materials, etc.
The senior translator/reviser must be able to use the appropriate register and style depending on the intended readership and taking into consideration local sensibilities and specificities.
The senior translator/reviser translates into Arabic confidential documents and reports produced by the Protection department – in particular for detention-related activities.
The senior translator/reviser assists the management of the delegation and the Protection coordination team by providing interpretation during meetings about sensitive or confidential issues.
The senior translator/reviser accompanies Detention teams and assists with interpreting during visits.
Under the direct supervision of the Detention team leader, the senior translator/reviser has the following responsibilities:
· supervise and manage the delegation's Arabic translation service namely:
- manage deadlines in order to deliver translations on time
- revise translations done by others with a view to ensuring quality
- provide written translations of all relevant official correspondence with authorities and/or confidential texts
- edit written documents if and when necessary
- liaise with the language teams in Geneva and Cairo, whenever necessary
- set up internal procedures/mechanisms to centralize requests from various departments within the delegation.
· when needed, provide interpretation for delegation events (e.g. seminars, workshops, official meetings)
. interpret for Detention teams during detention visits
The working time of the senior translator/reviser will be divided as follows:
20% translating for the management of the delegation – including editing texts
60% translating for the Protection department
10% revising translations done by others
10% working with Detention teams during detention visits
- University degree and/or post-graduate qualification in translation
- At least five years of professional experience in translation, revision and editing
- Experience of managing a team
- Native Arabic speaker
- Excellent writing skills in English and Arabic
- French language skills an asset
- Ability to give guidance and coach staff
- ensure terminological and stylistic consistency of texts
- adapt technical texts for a wide readership
- work independently and as part of a team
- work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
You are keen to learn and develop professionally.
What we offer
- An opportunity to help the victims of conflict
- Engrossing, rewarding work in unusual situations
- Ample support to integrate into the new working environment
- Excellent social benefits and insurance package
Minimum length of assignment: 12 months
Start date: as soon as possible
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: