INTERNAL REPORTER (ENGLISH-SPEAKING)
RESIDENT POSITION AT HEADQUARTERS - (50%)
Purpose of the post
The Internal Reporting Service, which is under the Office of the President, is hiring an internal reporter to work half-time (50%). The reporter will be part of the team assigned to write a weekly summary of operational and institutional (i.e. ICRC-specific) news and information and to circulate it internally, at headquarters and in the field, through the in-house bulletin (Bulletin interne).
In order to write these weekly summaries, the reporter will be required to monitor developments in the places where the ICRC operates and in its main areas of work. He or she must have an understanding of advances in humanitarian diplomacy and of humanitarian and operational issues. The reporter must also stay abreast of the major decisions taken by the ICRC's senior management and governing bodies, and of the president's activities.
Since its inception, the in-house bulletin has been written mostly in French, although a few articles are now regularly translated into English. The purpose of hiring an English-speaking internal reporter is to enable more non-French-speaking readers to have access to the most important operational and institutional news and information each week.
- Write concise articles for the in-house bulletin by monitoring and analysing the situations and operations in the five regions where the ICRC operates (Africa, the Americas, Asia & Pacific, Europe & Central Asia, and the Middle East) and consulting with the coordinators of the operations concerned, and then selecting the pertinent information about the ICRC's main areas of work and the humanitarian and operational issues encountered. The reporter's duties may also include translation and/or revision of texts.
- Help the team to circulate the information contained in the in-house bulletin on a weekly basis. Among other things, this involves coordinating with the translators; sending out the in‑house bulletin electronically, together with selected articles; and selecting five articles for publication on the intranet.
- Concurrently, help the team to write the English summary of the monthly operational meeting on priority themes between Operations at headquarters and the heads of delegations in the field (convened by the Office of the Director of Operations).
Training and experience required
- University degree in the humanities or equivalent;
- Training and/or experience in writing;
- Excellent writing ability in English and an excellent understanding of French. Spanish is an asset;
- Good knowledge of the ICRC (operations, legal framework and functioning) is an asset.
Personal profile and skills
The ideal candidate will be:
- able to analyse and summarize information from both internal (reporting) and external (media) sources;
- well organized and able to set priorities and meet mandatory deadlines;
- able to work independently and as a member of a team.
Position in the hierarchy: The internal reporter reports to the head of the Internal Reporting Service.
Length and place of assignment: Two years, renewable, at headquarters.
Starting date: January 2017.
Application documents required: Motivation letter and CV
Interested persons fulfilling the above criteria should send their applications (CV and cover letter) by 5 October, to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning "A/PRES - Mémorialiste/Internal Reporter 50% - Application" in the subject line.
Only applications sent to this email address will be considered. If you do not receive a reply within one month, then please assume that your application has not been shortlisted.
- Organization: ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: