Senior Improvement Advisor for Infectious Diseases for USAID ASSIST
Bethesda | Washington D.C
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
Division & Project Overview:
This position is in the Quality and Performance Institute (QPI) at URC. QPI focuses on improving health care through applying improvement (aka implementation/ delivery) science.
Background on the USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems Project:
This is one of URC’s global flagship projects funded by USAID and dedicated to improving health care in developing countries through the application of modern improvement science to delivery institutions, country Ministries of Health, USAID country missions, and cooperating agencies. The project is a $185 million cooperative agreement and is currently operating in about 30 countries in all global health technical areas. The project is a global leader in the advocacy, development, and promotion of cost-effective methods to design and improve healthcare care and strengthen health systems in low and middle-income countries.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Senior Improvement Advisor for Infectious Diseases will work in collaboration with headquarters and country-based stakeholders in designing, implementing, monitoring, and providing technical assistance to improve the quality of health system and emergency response programs in the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and general activities in the Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) region. This position is based in Bethesda, MD reporting to the LAC Regional Director who is based in Quito, Ecuador. The Senior Improvement Advisor’s primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage infectious disease activities on ASSIST, primarily Zika rapid response activities
- Liaise with ASSIST management, USAID, PEPFAR, host country governments, and other partner and stakeholder representatives in implementing ASSIST’s Zika Rapid Response and Infectious Disease activities
- Inform the field of Zika Rapid Response and Infectious Disease programs through evidence gathering across countries on how best to improve care in health systems.
- Identify priorities to respond to health emergencies and rapidly improve quality of care for health systems and furthering ASSIST’s work in infectious disease programs
The role of Senior Improvement Advisor for Infectious Diseases also includes developing and reviewing consultant and partner scopes of work, work authorizations and budgets. It involves managing relationships with partner organizations including USAID, PAHO, Ministries of Health, partner organizations, and other international organizations, as well as ensuring the work done as part of the Zika and infectious diseases portfolio is in compliance with USAID regulations.
The Senior Improvement Advisor for Infectious Diseases is also expected to contribute to business development which includes managing, writing and reviewing proposals.
- A Master’s degree in public health, medicine, management, or social science. Doctoral degree preferred.
- Ten years of relevant public health experience working in developing countries and the US on aspects of improving health care. Experience working with Zika activities highly preferred.
- Five years of successful management experience with infectious disease program activities for international clients, and presenting outcome results to international audiences
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn Quality Improvement Science and methods
- Fluency in Spanish, in addition to English is required.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills in guiding and mentoring staff and the ability to motivate staff, resolve conflicts, achieve consensus, and promote positive working environment
- Demonstrated ability to build networks and forge partnerships
- Familiarity with USAID contracts, rules and compliance regulations
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Track record of being able to produce contract deliverables in a timely manner, and flexible enough to adapt to changing work priorities
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally about 25-30% of the time to developing and transitioning
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in the United States for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers.
You must upload your CV/Résumé and your Cover Letter where indicated. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
- Organization: URC - University Research Company
- Location: Bethesda | Washington D.C
- Grade: Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-11-30