Post-Doctoral Fellow – Wheat Rust Pathologist/Breeder
Mexico City | Mexico City
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an outstanding, motivated candidate for the position of Post-Doctoral Fellow Wheat Rust Pathologist/Breeder. The position offers an outstanding career opportunity for a researcher interested in global wheat research. The successful candidate will work in the Global Wheat Program as a member of the Bread Wheat Improvement team. This position will contribute to collaborative research of bread wheat breeding and research emphasizing the widening of genetic variability for rust resistance in global wheat germplasm between CIMMYT and other institutions. In addition, the successful candidate will conduct studies to characterize and start utilizing novel sources of resistance to rust both from the existing improved germplasm and genetic resources.
This position is based at CIMMYT Kenya Office, located in Nairobi.
- Contribute to the research on wheat rust resistance and pathology with emphasis on stem rust.
- Support phenotyping of resistance to wheat rusts and other diseases in field and greenhouse.
- Assist in the selection of breeding materials.
- Contribute to training activities and interaction with visitors.
- Provide support to the development of project proposals and reports.
- Write various publications for scientific and peer reviewed journals.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A recent Ph.D. in Plant Breeding, Genetics, or Pathology of wheat or other cereals..
- Experience with handling rust pathogens in the greenhouse and field.
- Experience with molecular markers and genetic mapping in wheat or other cereals and the statistical and biometrical packages to analyze them.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Established publications in peer reviewed international journals.
- Strong interest in international agricultural research and development.
- Multicultural Awareness and Sensitivity
- Achievement Orientation
- Innovation and Creativity
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply here for 16833 PDF-Wheat Rust Pathologist/Breeder. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, 1 September 2016. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
- Organization: CIMMYT
- Location: Mexico City | Mexico City
- Grade: Junior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2017-02-28